I saw a huge iron today

Started by Henry Hall, March 05, 2017, 06:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hall

A massive lump of metal for €20 which looks to be intact, but with no cord as usual. It's the real deal though.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

I bought these lst week, they were advertised at $40.00 for the two of them.

When I got there I found they were being offered by an elderly retired tailor in my city, he used to dress the top politicians in his day. 

I said they were worth at least $40.00 each and offered to help him get a proper value for the rest of his gear.

So, I showed him the C and T site and abebooks and booklooker.

Now I have a bit of other stuff and an open invitation to ask questions and seek advice about tailoring skills and so forth.

It was very exciting.

Schneider sind auch Leute

hutch--

Goos score and I am glad to see this stuff go to someone who will both use it and appreciate it. Picking up some expertise from the old fella is an added bonus.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

Nice find. I mean the old tailor. He may be worth your time. Never know what he might impart.

Schneiderfrei

I just have to keep his wife calm.

Henry Hall

The bottom one looks clean as a whistle. Having the cords intact helps too. Well done old bean.

Its handle is exactly the same as my iron, only mine's red. In fact it looks similar to mine, but more rounded all-over. Is it missing its thermostat disc though? Or was there never one? That hole in the handle-plate is where mine has one.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

He told me that the newer one (bottom) had hardly been used.  I don't believe it had a thermostat, when you look into the hole there is no corresponding one in the chassis.

The older one is a "Hecla" brand its an Australian make.

I also got a buttonhole punch. And some buttonhole silk.

hutch--

I don't think temperature control was a big factor in irons of this type, they had to be heavy and hot and as long as the bases are in good nick, they will work fine on wool and cotton but I would not use them on modern synthetics which must be ironed at much lower temperatures. These are the type you would use to put creases in men's trousers as they have both the heat and the weight.

Schneiderfrei

I was told that you bring the iron up to heat and then turn it off.

peterle

I´m considering this one wich is 6kg for € 15.-

No temp control also...

Schneiderfrei

It looks quite nice peterle. 15 Eur seems a good price, to me.

I also got the stand on my second visit.  He remembered where it was.

hutch--

peterle,

It looks like a good item for working on wool and cotton, if you can hook it for that price you will have done well. I would be inclined to put a new cord in it as I don't really trust ancient electrics. Something that is worth doing is to get some cheap Chinese teflon sleeves to go over the bottom as it reduces the risk of glazing the fabric if you over do it. I bought 10 from China via eBay and still have no worn out the first one.

I learnt the trick from a tailor who used to run a shop not far from me, he used teflon sleeves over his boiler style iron and it worked well.

Henry Hall

Quote from: peterle on March 06, 2017, 09:56:05 PM
I´m considering this one wich is 6kg for € 15.-

No temp control also...

:o Only considering? Snap it up man! It's a fine-looking iron.

Henry Hall

Quote from: hutch-- on March 06, 2017, 01:07:41 PM
I don't think temperature control was a big factor in irons of this type, they had to be heavy and hot and as long as the bases are in good nick, they will work fine on wool and cotton but I would not use them on modern synthetics which must be ironed at much lower temperatures. These are the type you would use to put creases in men's trousers as they have both the heat and the weight.

Mine is from the 50s and the thermostat is original. It's very useful because a good cotton heat or one for heavy linen is not so good for fine wool (those thin worsteds).
I tend to knock off electricity when it's very hot (a Sf referred to) and it stays hot a long time. If you forget to switch on though it can be too cool for some sorts of pressing. The thermostat is thus useful.  I have to say that I use a domestic sometimes if I'm just pressing some crumpled lining.

Greger

Believe there is a thermostat which can be plugged into the wall socket and then the cord is plugged in to the thermostat.

Poulin says something about having a light that goes on when the iron is turned on. When you leave you see the light and turn off the iron.