Very good pair of Wiss 7n 14 inch shears on eBay.

Started by hutch--, February 08, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greger

Thom Bennett

"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

Steelmillal

I'm still suffering missed acquisition withdrawals, haha. I like the younger N's, with deference to older brass bolts, and considered that one for condition alone.  There's a 4N up now, but much too highly speculatively priced, and more parallel cost wise to an e-commerce trio of Wiss 10,12W,12WN. Happy cutting!

hutch--

The old 4N are cute but a modern pair of Wiss 22W are a better pair of shears that out perform them. The action with both Wiss and Heinisch is the 5N and higher, in good condition and sharpened properly you have both speed and accuracy that modern smaller shears cannot match.

I think I have seen the pair you mentioned and they are way over priced.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Steelmillal

I sold my 4N and kept a simplex bolt 4 for light stuff. 5Ns and up are truly a different feel. And I agree the modern 22WN are really quite good. Not long ago I bought a 10lot of Wiss 1DS. Can't say a bad word about them. Will even cut 8oz leather with ease.

There's quite a few older, but high, +/-14s listed around currently, but just as you say, proper sharp is the key. I've had good reports from the Whitley works, but am in the states near Toledo. I've been meaning to stop at a local industrial machine dealer with an extra pair to evaluate their sharpening ability. Hoping they're as good as the commercial machines they sell. I'll report back either way.

Happy hunting.

Henry Hall

I use my best shears for pruning the roses. They're ideal.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute