Very good pair of Wiss 7n 14 inch shears on eBay.

Started by hutch--, February 08, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Thom Bennett

I hope they are Hutch, just bought them. :) God the Pound is low against other currencies at the moment! Still, cheaper than buying a brand new pair.
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

hutch--

Pleased to hear this Tom, a good tool should go to someone who will use it properly. I sold an identical pair to a young tailor (late 20s) and he was very pleased with them. They have a precise feel that is a bit harder than the old timers but the speed and accuracy is excellent once you get used to them.

Greger

I was looking at them,  too.  What a great buy, Tom. It is a shame they don't make them anymore.

Thom Bennett

Yeh really looking forward to getting them Greger, my No.6 are great shears but I could do with some heavier ones for when I start making over-coats and the like. I'll let you know how I get on with them, they've been despatched. :)

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Greger

Got 12 inch from another company, which means I sometimes need one extra small snip, which is a waste of time, but has to be done. With a 14 inch  the ants in my pants will be happy.

hutch--

I don't know why but the supply of shears on eBay has more or less dried up, there used to be far more available and fortunately for me while I was chasing the range made I was able to get almost every pair of Wiss and Heinisch made. There is a pair of 14.5 inch Heinisch for sale but they are very rough and would take a lot of work to restore them.

Henry Hall

'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

hutch--

I tended to buy the ones that could be restored but I am pleased that Tom got this pair, I sold a similar pair to a young tailor a year or so ago as I only collect/use the old brass hinge Wiss and Heinisch. I do own a few strays which have come up OK but you get used to using a particular design. Sad to say I have not had a lot of time lately as I have been swamped with developing a 64 bit version of Windows assembler and to keep sane in between I have been getting video up and going.

Thom Bennett

I have used this new pair a couple of time, both for pattern cutting and a bit of trimming and they are wonderful and much better than my older Wiss pair.  Looking forward to showing them off in Ireland in 2 weeks time. :). Thanks for finding them Hutch.

Greger

You are cutting paper and card with these? My opinion, best shears cloth only.

Schneiderfrei

Paper and card are made with a certain amount of silica, that will blunt the edges rather quickly.

Thom Bennett

Sorry when I said pattern cutting I really meant striking and cutting the cloth.  No I have a rubbish pair of shears I use for paper and the like, these ONLY cut manmade fibres; sorry to have given anybody the shakes thinking I had just ruined this beautiful tool.

Schneiderfrei