Der Stutzer - 3/4 Length Overcoat 1951

Started by Schneiderfrei, January 28, 2017, 11:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

Hi, here is a very interesting Overcoat draft from Der Zuschnitt Fuer die herren Schneiderei - 1951

Der Stutzer means "The Dandy" in German. Just the thing for B Cumberbatch to wear for Sherlock. 

The draft seams to be derived from drafts for the "Ulster"overcoat.  I have included a draft for the Aermel - arm from the same section.

The user is warned (Zu beachten) to ask the client first if it is to be worn over a jacket or only a pullover. Thus, the draft has measurements for either scenario.

I will make efforts to translate it sooner or later.

The book was my Christmas present :)

Schneider sind auch Leute

posaune

Hi Schneiderfrei,
What a nice present!
yep, to late. I gave the coat now to a Maßschneider. He is willing to do the button holes for me. I voted for the magnetic thingies. I lost -  I'm only the tailor.
To your draft: it would be nice if you add the calculations from page 12/3 otherwise in gent's tailoring you are lost and the included seam allowance.
Can you tell more about the edition 15 th or 17th?
lg
posaune

pfaff260

It's from the 14 th edition. In 16 and 17 it's no longer called der Stutzer.

Schneiderfrei

Yes, thank you Pfaff, it is indeed the 14th Ed.

Here are the Proportionsmasse - Proportional Measurements:

I would really love someone to tell me where to find the references to seam allowances.

And, since the Draft seems to be an abbreviated draft, do we need the initial Ulster draft to make sense of the Stutzer.

And . . Pfaff what is it called in the future books.

posaune

Must be a chapter about "Naehte und Einschlaege beim Mueller System".
lg
posaune

Schneiderfrei

I will hunt it down and produce same.

Many thanks

TTailor

I havent' cut an overcoat in quite a while, but I have two to make for a project. In the past I have used the method of increasing the base chest sizing and drafting the overcoat from those new bigger measurments.
I was looking at my edition Zuschnitt der Herrenkleidung (1950's?) and it uses the base chest measurment and increases the sizing in the proportions to draft. Rb for instance varied from 2/10 chest +3 for some styles to + 4.5cm for others. They seem enormous. Is that more to do with the styles of the late 1940's?
The peacoat above is not nearly cut as large as the example drafts i have.

posaune

Coats in the 1990 had about 8.4 cm ease at bust level, overcoats had 10 cm (Paletot) up to 15  cm (roomy the 80th) , waist coats maybe 4-5 cm - ease depends on style and fashion.
lg
posaune

TTailor

Schneiderfrei, do you have a draft for a double breasted Ulster style coat that you can post?

Schneiderfrei

Yes Terri,

I will try to get on to it this evening.  School has returned and my time is less my own again. :)

Mind you my book is 1951. I will see what else I might have in a book from 2000.

G

Schneiderfrei

Here is part of my promises:  I will provide an explanation re how the seams and inlays are treated, for those without German in a short time. But here is the correct page.

peterle

In later books it is called "kurze Überjoppe" = short overcoat. (BTW " Stutzer" just means "cropped". But the Dandies wore cropped body coats in the early 19th century so the word enlarged it´s meaning).

The text says:
"To be regarded: the tailor has to make clear with the customer, wether the jacket will be worn over a lounge coat or only over a sweater. The pattern calulations are meant for wearing it over the lounge coat. For the other version the normal lounge coat calculations provide sufficient ease."

Thank You for posting the Calculation of the proportional meausers. It´s more detailed than in my XVII edition (1965).

jruley

Quote from: peterle on January 30, 2017, 09:30:04 PM

BTW " Stutzer" just means "cropped". But the Dandies wore cropped body coats in the early 19th century so the word enlarged it´s meaning.

Only German dandies, or was this a universal European fashion?  Can you be more specific (which decade)?  I thought dandies (as Americans used the term) wore all kinds of unconventional things, not just one specific fashion.  But maybe the usage is different - in American parlance "dandy" meant "overdressed" as opposed to "elegant".

I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe you could respond in the costume section?

hutch--

In old dictionaries the words "fop" and "dandy" were interchangeable.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

peterle

Yes. In German it means fop.

But looking for an answer for Jim I learned the word Stutzer was at least used since 1648, so the explanation  of a cropped body coat of the 19th century, I read in a fashion lexicon can´t be right.