Men's Trouser Fit Check

Started by jruley, October 10, 2016, 02:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jruley

Quote from: peterle on February 06, 2017, 12:11:04 AM
And how do you like it?

I think I like the straight leg better for casual wear (and my wife definitely does :)  ).

However, if I make a pair in a dressier fabric (such as a nice wool), I might try the narrower knee.

jruley

Quote from: peterle on February 04, 2017, 09:00:41 PM
By this alteration we also lowerd the whole crotch ''/seat seam for 1/4" wich relaxes the whole area. The conclusion is, your rise measure was too short.

With this in mind I decided to do one more test before altering the pattern.  Here the deeper rise is retained but the waistband slant is reduced back to 1/2".   So it's the same as #186 but with 1/4" more rise.

I think this confirms the additional slant is needed.  If I have it wrong, please correct me.

peterle

#188 looks better to me.
DonĀ“t forget, with the higher slant the whole trouser gets pivoted around the lower hip side seam/ waist. so the crotch/seat seam is pivoted as well. Removing the slant means altering the position of the seat seam.

I recommend to mark the lower belt edge to the trouser with a sharpend chalk. This will give you hints for the waist seam run.

jruley

Finally got these done, except for the hemming.  I kept the 1" slant from #188.  Here is the result:

I'm going to hem these on the straight, and a little longer than shown.  That's because the blue and tan pairs have lost almost an inch of length in the wash.  I pre-shrunk the fabric before cutting, but evidently not enough.  Oh well, they'll make nice shorts...

Thom Bennett

They look a lot better Jim, sorry to hear the other pair shrank a bit more than you expected.
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"