Sleeve length

Started by posaune, July 18, 2016, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

posaune

I discussed with a friend about the length of a sleeve.
The customer has a very slanted posture the left shoulder is about 5 cm deeper as the right.
Now if you put in the short sleeves with 25 cm length on both sides you see with one look the left sleeve hem sits 5 cm lower.
Should you now make the left 20 cm long?
If you do this you see with one look that the left sleeve is itself shorter.
What say the aesthetic here and what would you do?
lg
posaune

TTailor

Thats a difficult question!
Either way looks obvious that there is a difference.
I would cut them the same, but do not finish the hems, so  you can assess on the person which option looks better. Taking photos makes it sometimes easier to see the better choice.

peterle

Just for making it even more difficult by adding another option:
You could also make the armhole and the sleeve cap of the higher shoulder higher then the other armhole and keep the sleeve lengths the same from the baseline down. Thus the armhole baselines, the horizontal sleeve baselines, and the hem lines would be at the same level when finished...

posaune

Hi Peterle,
not so bad your idea -  I thought at the first moment. It couldn't be 5 cm but maybe 1-1.5 cm. I think, this will not hinder the movement (maybe enlarge the armhole diameter same amount), so that it stays proportional).  And then maybe 2 cm difference in the sleeve length will not be so noticeable.
Photo is a good idea, Terry. It gives  better view to judge and with the mobile nowaday easily done.
lg
posaune

hutch--

Where you can do it, I am a fan of making legs and sleeves longer with unfinished ends so that you can try them on and adjust the length to the desired fit.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D