Re: Why use basting thread for pad-stitching?

Started by hutch--, April 18, 2016, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claire Shaeffer

I prefer cotton thread in a color that matches the undercollar. I use Mettler threads--either 50 or 60.

There are two types of basting threads: unfinished which generally comes on skeins but also in spools in Europe and thread with a starched finished which is on spools. The latter, but not the former, would be ok.

A disadvantage of cotton thread is when it dries out, it will break. Old threads can often be resusitate by soaking them in water. Most garments are not worn that many years for this to be a problem unless you live in a hot, dry climate.

If you are a good pad-stitcher, you can use any color cotton thread. This is a good time to empty your bobbins of colors you won't use again. This is a bigger problem for womens' jackets than mens.

Henry Hall

For a collar? I think it's pretty much unanimous that silk is best used for the collar and (generally) revers.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Tailleuse

Quote from: Claire Shaeffer on August 31, 2016, 01:48:06 AM
I prefer cotton thread in a color that matches the undercollar. I use Mettler threads--either 50 or 60.

There are two types of basting threads: unfinished which generally comes on skeins but also in spools in Europe and thread with a starched finished which is on spools. The latter, but not the former, would be ok.

A disadvantage of cotton thread is when it dries out, it will break. Old threads can often be resusitate by soaking them in water. Most garments are not worn that many years for this to be a problem unless you live in a hot, dry climate.

If you are a good pad-stitcher, you can use any color cotton thread. This is a good time to empty your bobbins of colors you won't use again. This is a bigger problem for womens' jackets than mens.

I use cotton thread in the color of the wool, but would use my soft, Torre brand Italian basting thread before I'd used the coated basting thread I bought from WAWAK.

In Thomas von Nordheim's book, Vintage Couture Tailoring, he discusses a woman who took an exam for her tailoring degree in the 1930s. She had to pad a black satin lapel with white thread so finely it wouldn't show on the other side. He recommends that as an exercise, not a recommendation to use contrasting thread for pad stitching on real garments.