Vertical Folds at Back Shoulder

Started by jruley, March 15, 2016, 05:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jruley

I checked a number of books and was unable to find this particular problem addressed, so would be grateful for any advice and assistance. 

Here are three photos of a jacket I just finished.  The pattern is adapted from the 1970 Tailor and Cutter "SB Sports or Lounge Jacket" pattern.  The collar has been changed to a mandarin style and the side darts eliminated.  The jacket was cut to 42 regular proportions (matching my chest size) in a contemporary size chart.

What is the cause of the vertical folds in the back shoulder area?  Is the back too wide for my build, or is it more likely a sleeve issue?

I have applied an "unsharp mask" to the photos to make the wrinkling more obvious.

hutch--

Jim,

Jackets are not an area that I am all that familiar with but I have some idea as to the problem you mentioned. The front fit looks good but I can see the side folds from the back view that you mentioned. At a guess it looks like you have made the 2 back panels a bit wider than a narrow fit would have but it probably gives you more shoulder movement. Just to explain, I bought a retro trench coat that was a very close fit but it did not have enough shoulder movement. After wearing it for a while I ripped out the back of a sleeve seam by reach up with both arms to do something.

I have seen jacket designs that effectively have a center gusset to allow for extra should movement but without one I would suggest that there is a trade off between fit and movement. At least with the extra room behind the sleeves you don't risk tearing the back of the sleeve seam. Perhaps one of the folks here with more experience in jacket patterns and design could help you.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Henry Hall

The back balance is out, you can see the slight lift and kicking out from the rear view. To me the shape of the back seems too wide compared to the shoulder. I'll wait for a more professional opinion, but check out King-Wilson's diagnosis chart for balance errors and problems. The book is available here.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

posaune

You should do photos with a better perspective. Straight from front, back, and side view with a horizotnal and vertical line in the back if possible - on must see your posture. As Henry remarked it looks like the balance is off. But I can't see all things clearly. Looks a bit tight at front (3th-4th. button), collar stands away from neck. And in back happened a mistake in the setting of the shoulder pads. Your fabric can not roll into the armhole fold. The sleeves are not 100%. Right side hanging??
lg
posaune

jruley

Thanks guys.

I looked at the draft again, and realized that one of the darts I eliminated runs into the bottom of the scye.  The width of the dart is not specified, but that's probably at least 1/2" extra width in the back scye area than was intended.  I'm sure that's contributing to the issue but doubt it accounts for all of it.

jruley

Here are front, back and side as requested.  There are no shoulder pads.  There is a fairly thick sleeve head running from the front sleeve seam around the top to about two inches below the back seam.

Henry Hall

The right hand sleeve is slightly rotated too far back, you can see the effect in the back shoulder. You have no pads in and the shoulders are beyond the natural shoulder so it will contribute. The back is short too, so the balance is affected. What was the reason for eliminating the under-arm dart?

I'm going to let Posaune or someone else take it from here, they are more qualified.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

peterle

Do You want to install shoulder pads? The pattern surely was made for shoulder pads.
To me, the shoulders seem too wide.  One can see your natural shoulder poking through and forming a bulge and the shoulder collapses after this point.
when you want a "spalla naturale" your shoulders are at least 1 inch too wide.
When you want such exaggerating shoulders, you have to support them.

pfaff260

No shoulderpads. That's probably your problem. These drafts have shoulderpads incorparated. When you don't insert pads, you take off about 1 cm off the front and 1,5 cm off the back. These folds indicate that there is to much cloth on the shoulder. Try putting in some shoulderpads and your folds might disappear.

TTailor

You could and should also photograph the pattern.

What I see is the balance is off - the back is short, not by a lot, but enough, and it looks like you should do a flat seat alteration on the jacket.
Have you made allowances at the front waist? in profile, your front waist is beyond the chest so that needs to be allowed for in the pattern.
If you do not have any shoulder padding you need to have a look at whether you have fit the shoulders properly. You must remove some of the drafts allowance for padding but also increase the amount of ease in the back shoulder as you get closer to the natural body.
Check your cross back measurement too, if you want a closer fit, then you want the cross back plus a smaller amount of extra ease there.

So answers to your specific questions in a nutshell: the back folds are too much width cross back and a shoulder that needs to be looked at and fit a bit bettr, probably also moving the armhole line in slightly to align more with a narrower back panel.The above notes are extra things to deal with.

jruley

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for all your help.  I don't want to do too much personal fitting on this jacket because it is not for me.  I was approached by members of a religious community that wears this style.  Having examined one of their member's jackets, I drafted the pattern for my RTW size of 42R.  This one is intended as a sample, not a personal item.

I eliminated the underarm dart to simplify construction.  Also, these people are "plain" dressers and do not want a too closely fitted style. 

Based on your advice, my next step will be to make and install shoulder padding. 

I sincerely appreciate your comments.  I plan to make a personal jacket next (with a conventional collar) and will keep your observations in mind.

Jeffrey2117

Hello,

There are a few issues that I see from viewing the newer set of photo's. 

You will notice that the right shoulder appears to be higher than the left shoulder. 

The right sleeve is shorter than the left, due to the right arm length being longer than the left arm. 

If you notice the jacket is being pulled from the higher left to the lower right at a slight angle.

I also see some balance issues with the jacket.  The sleeves need to be moved/rotated forwards slightly.  Mark the original positions first before you do this.

The shoulders appear to be slightly too wide and drooping, causing the issues below the arm. 

The missing shoulder pads and extra sleeve head may exaggerate many of these issues. Your draft accounted for shoulder pads which are now not present. 

If you plan to install shoulder pads, you may wish to try another set of sleeve heads that are not so thick and see how they affect the sleeve afterwards.

First, keep it simple, look for easiest ways to attempt to resolve your problems. 

King's book identifies many issues and solutions relating to lateral and vertical balance.   If you can find this book, this will help you very much.  Why re-invent the wheel?

I would recommend tacking some shoulder pads in first before attempting any major alterations and making greater issues.

se a thinner pad for the left shoulder and wider for the right shoulder, afterwards you may view a big difference.  See how this affects the jacket before pulling everything apart!

I also wanted to ask if you did any stretching or shrinking of the cloth during construction.

I hope that this helps you!

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

Schneiderfrei

The King Wilson Book is located on this forum as a download already,  Its hard to find in the original.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlzh4unexc4vnjr/king-wilson-the-art-of-cutting-and-fitting-1958.pdf?dl=0

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

jruley

QuoteI also wanted to ask if you did any stretching or shrinking of the cloth during construction.

The back was shrunk at the shoulder seam after basting (before machine sewing).  The sleeve caps were treated the same.  I did not do any "ironwork" in the chest or front shoulders, but I did work some darts in the canvas for shaping.

Henry Hall

Quote from: jruley on March 15, 2016, 11:38:59 AM
Thank you ladies and gentlemen for all your help.  I don't want to do too much personal fitting on this jacket because it is not for me.  I was approached by members of a religious community that wears this style.  Having examined one of their member's jackets, I drafted the pattern for my RTW size of 42R.  This one is intended as a sample, not a personal item.

I eliminated the underarm dart to simplify construction.  Also, these people are "plain" dressers and do not want a too closely fitted style. 

Based on your advice, my next step will be to make and install shoulder padding. 

I sincerely appreciate your comments.  I plan to make a personal jacket next (with a conventional collar) and will keep your observations in mind.

Don't make shoulder padding based on modelling it on yourself though. First put the coat on a standard form and note how the rear scye looks, if there is less (or more) of a fold problem you can start to discover why. As seen on yourself, any shortness from the back neck to the level of the scye (under the arm) is going to give you gyp, and where blade prominence is evident it makes it worse. You need to see it on whoever would wear it before you plan anything.

Anyway you said this was a model coat. Be sure to note the figuration of the people you'll be making for.