How to Use a Rotary Cutter

Started by hutch--, March 14, 2016, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

These are a popular tool for some people depending on the type of work you do.

The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

Very fancy handle.  I always felt the cloth move under the circle radius, unless it was very thin like poplin - Voile.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Tailleuse

I use them only for limited purposes, such as cutting bias strips, sharp curves, or very slippery fabric. I have some 45mms, but they make me nervous. I prefer to use the 28mm or even the 18mm size.

Schneiderfrei

Cool Taileuse,

They also make me a little nervous.

Hendrick

Never used them on wovens but on jerseys always...

Schneiderfrei

Hendrick

(for me, at last) jerseys are difficult to cut, especially the bulkier knits. And messy. But I enjoy working with jerseys. I've never tried a rotary cutter on wovens, I must admit...  Promise I will try it, probably starting with lining.

posaune

I cut all with the cutter from lingerie to over coats and it is a clean cut. I have laid on my cutting table a large cutting matt about 100 m x 150 cm.
lg
posaune

Hendrick

What sort of material is your cutting mat made of? Is it the "self healing"sort, that is usually green?

posaune

It is light gray with cm printed on and it is not soft . I got it custom made. I use it now about 15 years.
lg
posaune

Hendrick

The quality must be outstanding, then...

spookietoo

I only use a rotary for bias strips - so much easier, and once when I was helping my niece with a slippery polyester something or other. I prefer scissors/shears for most things.

I don't typically get overly anxious about sharp tools, but if I were to start using a rotary on a regular basis, I would use my cut resistant glove on my left hand. I use mine on my right hand with my mandolin in the kitchen. They can be purchased at most better quality residential kitchen stores or any restaurant supply vendor.