rock of eye

Started by vaibhavkhurana, October 08, 2024, 04:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaibhavkhurana

Found a few tailoring videos where they draft patterns freehand with chalk and a measure tape.
Is there any pages or books that explain how it works and how they calculate balance?

Seems like a very interesting topic.

Gerry

Rock-of-eye indicates years of experience and understanding ... hopefully! (mostly it does). After cutting the same patterns day-in-day-out, and seeing the effects of alterations to patterns during fittings, tailors intuitively know the shape(s) they're after. Not something that can be taught IMO.

Admire it when done well, roll your eyes when it isn't.

vaibhavkhurana

Hello Garry,

Very well put.

Found myself watching alot of steven hitchcock's instagram videos and was absolutely amazed.

Gerry

You're probably aware of these, but Tom Mahon demonstrates rock of eye in the following.

5:44 mark:

47:40 mark

You can see that he's measuring and marking key points, it's just that he draws the lines by hand rather than using curving implements and rulers.

The nearest I get to rock of eye is with sleeve heads. I bend a flexible ruler until it looks right and has the required length, then draw along its edge. I do the front and back separately - these rulers tend to have a limit to their flexibility, so doing things in one is pushing it. It's as good a method as any IMO: sleeve drafts are pretty daft when you think about them!  :)

vaibhavkhurana

Hey Garry,

Thank you so much for these video links, I understand you've had quite an experience with tailoring. I'm barely months into it and i might be totally off with my information but i hope you can shed some light on this.

Both Steven Hitchcock and Thomas Mahon have spend their careers in Andersson and Shepherd because i see some real similarities in their cutting style.

You known really small Back armhole and single piece front mostly and occasionally side panel and front are cut separately.

So my question in continuation is What do you guess is the system they follow ? And how does one differentiate between when to but a single piece front over side panel and front separately.

Gerry

Quote from: vaibhavkhurana on October 10, 2024, 07:24:09 AMSo my question in continuation is What do you guess is the system they follow ? And how does one differentiate between when to but a single piece front over side panel and front separately.

There was a documentary a number of years ago (it's on youtube somewhere) about Savile Row, and loads of the cutters interviewed mentioned 'Thornton' when asked what method they use. Pretty archaic, frankly, but many English tailors use these old systems, based on estimates, simply to get up and running. All of the cutters 'art' is in the fitting and not the drafting so much. At least here in the UK.

I rewatched a bit of this vid and around the 1:03 mark Mahon confirms that it takes a few years of learning the shapes until one can draft using rock-of-eye.

As for side panels, the 'drape brigade' tend to include them if someone has a bit of a tummy, because a donlon wedge can be incorporated into the pocket opening. It's basically a manipulated/shifted dart that prevents the front of the jacket looking like a maternity dress below the tummy, instead curving the fronts to follow the roundness of the belly. Otherwise, they favour three-seamed coats. It's mentioned around the 11:40 mark in this vid (though he refers to it as a 'belly cut'):

Cutters who only make coats with side-panels can use the extra seam to create more of a 'skirt' over the hips. Not my thing, but it can look fantastic on the right person and, according to Mahon, it's essential when cutting for the majority of women (understandably so, because they tend to have wider hips).

I'm not a coat maker, incidentally, though I'm not a total novice either. I'm still finding my way so others might be better at explaining/confirming the above.

Gerry

Incidentally, I recently picked up a cheap copy of Hardy Amies' book The Englishman's Suit (recommended) and, reading between the lines, the term drape seems to have come about after the event.

In the Edwardian era, Savile Row became known for creating extra width across the chest and back, for comfort. U.S. tailors followed suit (no pun intended) but a trend grew in the '30s on that side of pond for over-suppressing the waist. This trapped the cloth above, creating an effect that resembled a curtain, tied to one side. Probably for this reason, the cut became known as 'drape'.

To my knowledge, Savile Row has never cut suits like that. Cloth was always allowed to hang naturally. Modern proponents of the cut refer to the extra width mentioned as 'drape', but perhaps it's a misnomer? Surely drape is a vertical hang and not horizontal? Fullness is a better term perhaps?

Either way, the book is really interesting, well written and a quick read. Some of his views may seem a little snobbish/archaic, but a lot of his comments still hold. He had a pretty amazing war record too (there's a youtube doc I keep meaning to watch that goes into his history).

vaibhavkhurana

Hi Gerry,

From what i've researched drape cut is what scholte tought Anderson and Shepperd and i think fullness might be scientific name but a stylistic choice and to add pizzaz to it they called it drape ? And i guess there's only so much you can take out from the waist.

Found a copy of the sectional system of cutting by thornton and my god is this complicated, i guess this will take me months and months to decipher and remove and add things for it to be any good for myself.

Gerry

I don't think this is the documentary I was thinking of. I'll post another link if I find it, but I have a feeling it's on internet archive, which is down at the moment. However, yet another two, respectable cutters from the Row mention Thornton (31:10 onwards):

Gerry

BTW, just find a system that you understand and/or are comfortable with. As mentioned earlier, it's not in the draft, the fitting is what counts.

Gerry

About the 20:10 mark onwards, there's a little about rock-of-eye.

Greger

One method is if you understand grading a pattern up or down in size. Points of interest wider belly, wider hips or narrower, shoulder slope, chest sunk or jut out, need for a longer or shorter back, shoulder blades, wider or narrower back and front. And the accumulated knowledge beyond this. If the person has a larger chest than average you would pick a size larger for front and a size smaller for the back, from graded. And, vices versa. A lot of this you will be doing anyway. Aim for less and less aids and more off what you see and experience. Be sure to add larger inlays where your guessing may be off. Don't be shy with inlays because cloth is expensive and, you're beginning.