Some help finding a frock coat draft

Started by hautendandy, September 14, 2024, 04:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hautendandy

Ive been perusing the forum, but cant find a frock coat draft, does any one know where a good one is, or if there is a link to an existing one. I wont have much time if any to fit it as much as that galls my soul knowing i have a hips forward stance and I dont have much knowledge in fitting outside of shirts and trousers. I have the modern muller fundamentals book and a few of the fitting books from the previous tailor and cutter forum. Not that this matters much but its for my alice in wonderland themed wedding, I'll where to coat outside of the wedding as well, was looking for it to be roughly mid thigh length or so.

Hope every one is having a grand and wondrous experience,

Thanks to all!

SO_tailor

I have one in a 1928 MTOC edition (the one available on Amazon) and from what I;ve seen the proportions for a frock is basically the same for drafting a body coat, you just have to have the skirt not be cutaway.

There is a few tailoring books on Archive.org that have a frock coat draft. I'm pretty sure Regal's has one.

Also just found this blogpost which may be helpful https://matsukazesewing.blogspot.com/2014/04/huntsmans-frock-coat.html
—Solomon/Sol

stoo23

Not sure how much of this (If Any, ...), may be useful to you but this is everything I could Find referencing 'Frock Coats' via the search facility.

If something is interesting, perhaps contacting the person whose info' was of interest may prove to be prudent in case they can offer further help etc  :)

Cutting of a four button sack?
A good link via the Wayback and a pdf further down that may be useful  :)

Frock coat skirt/Pleats

What is the Side body/part for?

Mr Roosevelt's Frock Coat

The American Garment Cutter edition 3

Vielen Dank!

A Dutch coatmaking book

Diplomatic coat reproduction

William D. F. Vincent

Shoulder dart vs. yoke

V&A Fashioning Masculinities Exhibition

The challenge- drafting for people you have not measured.

Nice and important book to have

TTailor

I might be able to dig up a draft. Will try to post it today

Gerry

I don't own this book, but her channel is very good (there's a playlist for making a morning coat and it's very comprehensive). She clearly comes from a theatre background, so her drafts are probably more realistic for a modern figure. The book has a draft for a frock coat:

TTailor

Not sure if a photo is best here, i can also attach as a pdf if the photos are not good enough.
EDIT: I think the images are quite clear. (Admin')

hautendandy

Quote from: TTailor on September 16, 2024, 07:05:55 AM

Not sure if a photo is best here, i can also attach as a pdf if the photos are not good enough.

Thank you Terri!

I think it's quite clear

TTailor

This frock coat draft is from the "Climax System of Cutting Gentlemen's Garments" by Leggatt and Hodgkinson, circa 1920?
As in all older drafts the coat is cut quite crooked ( ie the front neck point is further from the centre front) this throws a great deal of shaping and excess fabric to the neckline which requires a significant dart above the chest line in the seam between the centre front and the lapel.
This also closes up the armhole to quite a snug form fitting shape.
Later Frock coats such as those from the 1950's have significantly less shaping comparatively speaking.
My advice is to identify your desired silhouette and a draft from that era.

Greger

A crooked cut of the old days takes a heavy iron and thick enough cloth shrinking it straighter. The bridle tape, linen, is strong, holding it from going back. The armhole may need to be stretched up. Top of shoulder needs to be stretched towards neck. The inlays are useful incase you can't control the cloth as much as the pattern would like. Different wools and weaves only give so much. It isn't just being able to make it. It is also sculpture. So the shrinking and stretching and later, tailors ham is about sculpting various curves into art to be worn. Dart included.
The back pieces includes the blade cuts. Again, inlays to help provide a "pocket" that the shouldet blade fits into. Do it in a way that doesn't make it obvious. The shoulder is lengthen and shrunk in. This also helps for shoulder blade movements.
The tails of the coat are shaped to curve around the rump. This is done by the bridle method. The bridle is a little short and is shrunk so the ripples are gone.
When pressing the small of the back there are several curves going different directions. Use a ham to set the curves.
When pressing the roll line press the inside first. Flip it over and press from the outside with a little moisture. Why? The bottom layers shrink the most. This will produce a nicer roll. The press mitt is used for the crown or cap. The crown has a ridge. The cap is round like a smooth baseball.