Hutch's Shear collection - Sale

Started by stoo23, April 09, 2024, 01:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoo23

Well, it seems I have been 'charged' with the responsibility (by his brother Ian), of dispensing with Hutch's collection of Shears.

I will 'develop' and add to this 'thread' as I progress through the process.

We have already taken Quick photos of them ALL, Tagged and Numbered them, which can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/bx3sv19848z34xx4fqkqc/h?rlkey=p71iyogh2s2q4pad8w248n8fz&dl=0

I am sorry about the somewhat low 'Standard' of the photos but trust me, you have NO idea what his place was like, it took us some time to even be able to Get to the drawers these were stored in and to make space on the nearby table to photograph them, with the best light we could arrange, in the time and physical space we had.

So for all you Mega-Collector 'Mantle Ornament' Wannabe's, as can be seen from the photos of them in the drawers, (attached here), they are in very fine fettle and condition, with the understanding that Hutch's "Focus", was Not on 'Display Case' visual 'Restoration, but to Proper technical and mechanical Operation, ... as "Tools of the Trade", to be Used, not 'looked' at  ;)  :)

Knowing Hutch as I did since 1970, I need no further education or enlightening in knowing how Exacting and arguably 'anal' he was in regard to fixing these things, he was in many ways a virtual 'polymath' but in this instance, called on all his years of education and experience as a trained Metallurgist and Engineering Tool & Die maker, to Re-Set, Sharpen and restore these shears to the point where they could probably continue functioning (in the manner they were designed), for another hundred years.

I can guarantee, they are 'Scary' Sharp, cut Fabric with the ease you would expect and with proper care and maintenance, will continue to into the future.

They are ALL in excellent condition, but are covered with Grease for Storage purposes, (which can be observed in many of the photos on Dropbox).

If you are interested in any particular Pairs, I am happy to temporarily clean and take better photos, but with 60 pairs, I do not intend to do them all.  ???  :)

Many of them can be seen (and described) in the various sections, here: https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/

We ARE truly hoping to get as many pairs as possible, into the Hands of people who will 'Actively' USE them and 'Cherish' them.

Obviously, Shears like these in Perfect Working Order, not requiring resetting and sharpening, don't come up everyday, but with that said we are simply hoping to get a good, realistic price for them, so please, IF you Are interested, please contact me with your offers for consideration, prior to them eventually being placed on E-Pay  ;)  ;D

Regards,
Stewart

Images taken by Mark when delivering them to me  :)
You cannot view this attachment.

TTailor

Oh my gosh!

Well those look beautiful.

He certainly had a talent for bringing them back to life.

Is there a relatively smaller pair in the lot?

Gerry

Wow, you could probably supply all of Savile Row with that lot!

stoo23

QuoteWow, you could probably supply all of Savile Row with that lot!
Yes, very possibly :) and more than happy to do so  ;)  ;D

QuoteIs there a relatively smaller pair in the lot?
Yes, a few  :)  PM sent

stoo23

My apologies for those who expressed interest in the Shears, ... I have NOT forgotten you,.. I have simply been too busy to attend to the 'Task' ... I will try to get back to you all ASAP,...

Thanks for your patience,  :)

Steelmillal

Here;s something to gauge the market by. They look good, but not my brand. There's seven hours left as I type this. Cheers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/226170804278?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Chanterelle

Would love a pair in the 12" or sub 12" range. Don't think I could afford/justify to my wife spending anything more than $75, though I have no idea if you'd consider that a lowball.

What would you consider a reasonable offer here?