Opinion on a Singer 201K

Started by BenJM, January 21, 2021, 10:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenJM

Hey Guys, I do a lot of reading of this forum and they old cutter and tailor, and tailoring/sewing in general. I'm still learning and do general clothes (nothing as advanced yet as tailored coats or pants) but having spent so much time reading I have worked out that the 201 is at least a somewhat well respected machine.

Anyway, I've come across a machine that looks ok and isn't particularly expensive and as per the listing  " Great condition 201k singer. Works perfectly and recently service"

I've gotten some average photos from the seller which I've included and I'd just like some words on wether this ones an okay machine to buy. I'm mechanically able and not to concerned about maintenance and the odd simple repair but not interested in a dud.

Pictures are coming

theresa in tucson

Ben, the old black Singer sewing machines are like tanks.  They almost never wear out.  The straight stitch is superb, they are easy to maintain and absolutely everyone copied the Singer design when Singer was the leading manufacturer.  I have a Singer 15-91, a 201 and a 221 (Featherweight) and wouldn't part with any of them.  There is also plenty of on-line help for those doing their own maintenance and because Singer was so copied, plenty of original and after-market parts.  A lot of Singers had interchangeable parts as in bobbins, belts, motors, tension disks and so on.  Don't pay too much though, there are thousands still around.

Schneiderfrei

Great machine,

Make sure the electrics are all safe.  The metal gears and such are as Spookytoo said are like tanks, but rubber perishes eventually.

Even stitches are easy and you won't have any trouble with anything that will fit under the foot.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

BenJM

I got it, got home gave it a good wipe down just water although anything chromed has been well cleaned with isopropyl alcohol (kept very clear of the pain on the sewing machine) I'm pretty happy and the stitch quality is amazing, far better then the husky I have by a long mile.

TTailor

In my experience, these machine will sew almost anything and do it well.
I would try to find a manual so you can maintain it well- how to oil it for instance.

BenJM

Quote from: TTailor on January 28, 2021, 12:18:54 AM
In my experience, these machine will sew almost anything and do it well.
I would try to find a manual so you can maintain it well- how to oil it for instance.

Thankfully it came with the original singer manual and the motor manual as well. But I rather like that digital version posted by Steelmillal.

The sewer didn't have its lamp cover though so I'm trying to find one.

I've been cleaning up the machine and rebuilt the motor so far substantially improved :)

Der Zuschneider

I own 201K and -2. If someone has questions.
Tailoring is the love of doing art at OCD level.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196434445@N05/albums