Contradictory?

Started by SO_tailor, February 14, 2024, 02:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

What is that supposed to mean? (From B. Black & Sons)
—Solomon/Sol

Gerry

My guess is that some colours are 100% Rayon, others 100% Polyester.

I recently nipped in to Richmond Upon Thames library where they have a short exhibition on the history of Rayon. It was invented just up the road in Kew. Very informative. As I was entering, a guy with Tourette's held open the door for me, beckoning me through with a broad smile:

"Thank you"
"Your welcome ... **** off!"

SO_tailor

Quote from: Gerry on February 14, 2024, 09:35:54 PMMy guess is that some colours are 100% Rayon, others 100% Polyester.

I recently nipped in to Richmond Upon Thames library where they have a short exhibition on the history of Rayon. It was invented just up the road in Kew. Very informative. As I was entering, a guy with Tourette's held open the door for me, beckoning me through with a broad smile:

"Thank you"
"Your welcome ... **** off!"

Lol Gerry. Was he a fellow tailor too?

Regarding the trimmings, that makes a lot more sense. After looking at their website, it seems like they charge for swatches around a dollars (or 0.80 pounds), so I guess the reason they are vague is because there "side hustle" is getting dough from swatches.

I did email the company a month ago, to ask what the weight was for their tweed collection (I was looking for a 14 oz), which the owner responded saying that the tweed is an "appropriate weight", and suggested ordering swatches. TBH I kinda blew it because I didn't specify what weight I was looking for, but I did kinda wish they weren't vague about it.

Here in the States its pretty hard to find decent cloth, let alone any cloth. It's not like in Britain where you practically have a merchant on every corner. And the good cloth is usually from Britain! B Black is pretty much the last cloth merchant in America thats also affordable, so I am not unwilling to pay up to $10 for several swatches to find the right tweed weight. They also sell what looks like real wigan so thats a plus!
—Solomon/Sol

DrLang

I can vouch for B. Black and Sons. Their store is impressive and what you see online is only a small fraction of their stock. Talking to the owner when I was there, the online business itself the actual side hustle. They probably don't think much about specific weight because most of their business is with people going in and actually touching the cloth. I think a lot of their stock has been there for a long time too. It's probably worth ordering a few swatches if you seriously plan to buy.
I am neither a doctor, nor is my name Lang. I've just had this handle since 1996.

SO_tailor

Quote from: DrLang on February 15, 2024, 05:18:16 AMI can vouch for B. Black and Sons. Their store is impressive and what you see online is only a small fraction of their stock. Talking to the owner when I was there, the online business itself the actual side hustle. They probably don't think much about specific weight because most of their business is with people going in and actually touching the cloth. I think a lot of their stock has been there for a long time too. It's probably worth ordering a few swatches if you seriously plan to buy.

Precisely what I thought after looking more into their website Lang!

I did once order their "$5 Shirtings". It looks like their shipping cost has lowered significantly since I last purchased (around $11). When I bought the shirting their shipping was like $25, so I was a little hesitant to buy from them for a while. Must be that they updated their web.
(Edit: the time I bought the fabric was in 2022)

Their vintage tweed collection is what I've been eyeballing, so when I have the time I'm probably going to order a few swatches and see which weight is better.

$1 per swatch is a pretty good bargain if you ask me.
—Solomon/Sol