Iron suppliers

Started by SO_tailor, January 21, 2024, 07:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

I realized that my last post is going more into "supply" territory, so because of that I am making this post here. Besides, I'm trying to find a good professional iron to purchase, and am have some trouble finding some good ones.

Simply this: What are some suppliers to buy professional irons? A couple mentioned Norris from the UK, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US or not, and there's also that plug difference between the pond.
—Solomon/Sol

Gerry

Quote from: SO_tailor on January 21, 2024, 07:04:10 AMA couple mentioned Norris from the UK, but I'm not sure if they ship to the US or not, and there's also that plug difference between the pond.

UK mains voltage is 230V, whereas it's 120V in the US. So a British iron would need to be used in conjunction with a UK to USA 'travel-adaptor' (step-up transformer), otherwise you'd be underpowering it. Having said that, such adaptors are inexpensive and have the correct plugs and sockets to do the conversion (no need to change the plug).

Steelmillal

You may want to find a local textile business and see if you can buy one of theirs, if they don't use it. Every place I've visited has modern steam jennies and their brand irons as a package. Heavy was for heavy fabrics, right, and few seem to stock what many of us here look for.

I constantly skim thrift stores. No joy for a monster yet but hope remains. Good luck.

Greger

That company might sell for the American market. In the past a number of these companies made for whatever country the customer lives in. Specify for electrical in America.
You can ask the local union about rewiring. They can probably do it easily.

SO_tailor

Know I'm late, but I've been looking around on ebay and been finding quite a handful of "American Beauty" irons. They are around 12 ish pounds. Does anybody on the forum have experience with them?
—Solomon/Sol