Weight for Iron

Started by SO_tailor, January 07, 2024, 05:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

Hello everybody.

I've been considering buying another iron at some point, but have had trouble with discernment of which weight to get. Many tailors have recommended getting a heavy iron, but never specific on what weight.

So my question is this: What do most here consider the appropriate weight for an iron? And where are some good iron sources where can I find such?

Thanks,
-Solomon
—Solomon/Sol

TTailor

That's a good question.
I know the iron I currently use at work is on the heavy side for my preference but I have never weighed it.
Work purchased new boiler systems (reliable brand) and the irons seem to be available in only one weight, and it's not very heavy, though I have not weighed those either.

What I find funny is picking up one of the light weight irons after being used to a really heavy one and my arm tends to flies up in the air as if I have lost control of it!

Greger

I didn't know that we had Super Woman writing here! Wow! I'll be careful.

Some cloths and canvasses need heavier weight iron. Other cloths a lighter weight is fine.
if I remember correctly an Italian company has an iron that you can add another weight on it. Could be a German company.

SO_tailor

Gregor is this the iron you were talking about?

I found it on Fodere Zamboni
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

These might be the ones I was looking at. If not, very similar.
I wonder if the weight would fall off if used at different angles.
You could probably make different weights to put on.
Buy the maximum weight, so at least the handle is strong enough. Although, they do sell handles how strong they are?
Some years ago I was thinking about buying one. Someone said that the shipping costs and taxes would be too high.
If you buy one I'd like to know how it works.

stoo23

It looks like there is a Locating Screw on the Front edge to Secure the Weight to the Base  :)

SO_tailor

Quote from: Greger on January 16, 2024, 03:43:08 PMThese might be the ones I was looking at. If not, very similar.
I wonder if the weight would fall off if used at different angles.
You could probably make different weights to put on.
Buy the maximum weight, so at least the handle is strong enough. Although, they do sell handles how strong they are?
Some years ago I was thinking about buying one. Someone said that the shipping costs and taxes would be too high.
If you buy one I'd like to know how it works.

Unfortunately they are currently out of stock, but I am hoping to get one as soon as their available! Will let you know. It's hard to find irons with a 10-15 pound weight
—Solomon/Sol

TSjursen

Heavy irons can be had from Norris steam in the UK. I don't like the handles but otherwise they are nice, get the 5kg variant for general use.

Greger

https://norrissteam.co.uk/product/goliath-7kg-dry-tailoring-iron/
Yes, that is one. A dry iron.
They have a wet one, too. A tailor in town used to use a wet iron from whatever company. The steam holes can be a problem. A damp rag really isn't a problem.
I was told to always use a rag between cloth and iron. Some use a bare iron on the back side of the cloth, but never the front. Absolutely no light shinning/reflecting back.
Thanks for sharing.

TSjursen

Yes the steam holes can be an issue as you say, they can quite easily make little marks on the fabric when the iron is that heavy. Moving the iron around when pressing will help but is also liable to make the fabric shiny. Another thing to think about when using the 7kg iron is the pressing surface, it must be hard or the pressing will show through and not become as crisp as it can be. I use mine on bare wood, and get better results than on the vacuum table.

SO_tailor

Quote from: TSjursen on January 17, 2024, 06:37:26 AMHeavy irons can be had from Norris steam in the UK. I don't like the handles but otherwise they are nice, get the 5kg variant for general use.
Quote from: Greger on January 17, 2024, 01:27:22 PMhttps://norrissteam.co.uk/product/goliath-7kg-dry-tailoring-iron/
Yes, that is one. A dry iron.
They have a wet one, too. A tailor in town used to use a wet iron from whatever company. The steam holes can be a problem. A damp rag really isn't a problem.
I was told to always use a rag between cloth and iron. Some use a bare iron on the back side of the cloth, but never the front. Absolutely no light shinning/reflecting back.
Thanks for sharing.
THANKS! I was hoping to find a decent, heavy weight dry iron somewhere! After the death of Irony (R.I.P.) it was a bit tough to find anything good. I looked on ebay but they were all just vintage General Electric garbage (they were all a pidly 3 pounds).
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

To be honest Irony was around three pounds or so, but I wasn't doing any heavy work. It worked for the time, but now I'm at a point where I'm getting a little more "serious".
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

One has a curve to the point. The other you can put different weights on.
Another is 9 pounds. A shirt tailor used that. It is/was made in the US. But I don't remember its name.
Depose has 11-13 pound and a 6 pound. Don't really remember what weights he said.
Cloth is so skimpy that 6 pounds is maybe better. But a collection is wiser. So many tailors of the past had 20 pounders. Cloth with substance the weight of the iron is best. And then the canvases a hefty iron achieves more.
Grandad said the weave of the cloth comes flat- set flat. When it leaves with the customer as a finished coat the weave is not flat anywhere. The weave is set in a zillion curves that embellish the customer. If you press one part flat it would be the lapels, that is, a well shaped by pad stitching, so the curve springs to life. Always press the top side last because the bottom layer shrinks the most. It is a way to remove excess bulk causing the roll to be better. The small of the back it's very important to use a ham there for several directions. Several curves there. Haven't seen hardly any tailors do it, what I call, proper. I think the press curves of the coats is adding splendor. Sleeve roll for the sleeves. Press mitt for the caps. When it goes to the dry cleaners the coat is ruined. What do they know about this kind of pressing?
Hope I didn't write too much.