Unshrinking wool fabric?

Started by SO_tailor, December 07, 2023, 12:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

Hi there!

Is there a way to Un shrink wool fabric? I was trying to shape the coats' back with the iron, but ended up shrinking the half back by a 1/4". I read a little and found that wool sweaters can Un shrink in hot water, but didn't know if this worked on fabric.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

P.S. I have no usable inlay in the center back seam (cut on the selvedge), so I can't do anything there to widen it.
—Solomon/Sol

posaune

I would rip the seams. So the fabric can relax. Then wet the fabric roll it together and let it rest. After resting pin it in the real size on a blanket. Be careful with the grain. Let out steam from above and soak the fabric evenly. Take a fine cotton fabric piece, lay it over the your fabric and press with a dry iron. Don't pull. Just press. Let it  cool. This should work.
Lg Posaune

SO_tailor

—Solomon/Sol

Schneiderfrei

That's a great description, thank you posaune.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Yes, thank you, Ma'am.

A similar process works for knit wool but adds salt to help fill the fiber 'ridges' and holds them away from each other during drying. Warm, salty water, stretch t' shape and pin, let dry slowly. Rinse in fresh cold water. Usually works but wouldn't at all use salt on suitings for staining likelihood. Just adding to round out topic.