A Moment of Silence for “Irony” the Iron (19??-2023)

Started by SO_tailor, November 23, 2023, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoo23

Damn, your 'on the case' Gerry, I was thinking the same thing, at it's Age, it could easily just have a lose connection  :)

SO_tailor

Quote from: stoo23 on November 24, 2023, 05:01:06 AMWell, that Plug, looks like it is 'Rated' at 5 Amps at 250 Volts & 10 Amps at 125 Volts.

The 'specific' rating, is often printed on a Plate, mounted somewhere on the Iron but is perhaps Not the case with this unit.

BTW, do you not find that Coiled Plastic coating on the cord annoying ?
I'd imagine that would make it quite stiff, especially as it is quite Aged.

Cloth Alone might be better / easier to work with, inless you found the plastic worked ok, by keeping the cord 'out of the way' as such.
I'd imagine the plastic coating worked fine when New and when the Iron was 'Mounted' on a table  :)

The coiled plastic coated stuff might be rather difficult to get / replace
That was precisely what I was thinking stoo! The plastic cord I assumed would have been a hassle if I'm honest with you.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: Gerry on November 24, 2023, 04:55:01 AM
Quote from: SO_tailor on November 24, 2023, 04:09:33 AMOk, I'll probably consider that then  ;D

Also here is photons of the "life support" (should have showed these earlier tbh)

Edit: I don't exactly know where to find the rating Gerry was mentioning, so if someone could tell this old dino where it is that be great! Also the plastic braiding is kind of the reason I didn't want to repair it.

Another edit: Also mind the mess on the desk, I've been having my table a little cluttered from coat I've been working on.

OK, I'm guessing you're in the States (please confirm, because your mains voltage is different than in the UK and affects calculations). In the UK we have fuses built into plugs. I took it for granted that this is the case elsewhere. Apparently not, which makes it more likely that something internally has been 'blown'/damaged. Not a given though, this could be as simple as a break in the flex or a loose connection.

I am in the US Gerry, and I do agree our plug-ins are weird. I beileve my profile says US on it. I'll check though.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: stoo23 on November 24, 2023, 05:23:32 AMDamn, your 'on the case' Gerry, I was thinking the same thing, at it's Age, it could easily just have a lose connection  :)

same thought as you guys. I'll have to juts get a replacement probably. That plastic cord is something I don't want to mess with. I believe the plastic was used back then to  [prevent the wire from damaging.
—Solomon/Sol

stoo23

Yeah, you are shown as being in the US  :)

The 2 Pin Appliance end, is a common Universal connector.
Many here were made by GE.

I found a NOS 2 meter cord in Melbourne  :)

stoo23

SO_tailor

Very likely  :D , it's also EXTREMELY annoying because I don't have those ceiling, roof, hook thingamigicks, so whenever I pull the iron to press I hear what sounds like a loud zipper... every, single, time! Ugh  :o !
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: stoo23 on November 24, 2023, 05:37:27 AMYeah, you are shown as being in the US  :)

The 2 Pin Appliance end, is a common Universal connector.
Many here were made by GE.

I found a NOS 2 meter cord in Melbourne  :)

It is? I never knew that if I'm honest. I went to Italy last year and saw how different the plugs were. Thought "we" were doing something wrong.
—Solomon/Sol

stoo23

Ahh yes, well a Nice New 'Clean' soft flexible cord (whilst not Elevated Above the garment), will at least be less annoying or possibly damaging etc and will 'slide' around more freely :)

OH there are Many different plugs, but that 2 pin style Was very common.
When I was growing up, ALL Kettles had that style of connector :)

I just hope it is Only the Cord and NOT the Iron !!

With 'reference' to Gerry's comments below,.. it might be good to change the Cable anyway, (due to the inherent damage of the coily plastic coating), PLUS the Copper can become Brittle over the years and actually provide added unwanted resistance but at least you could get it back up and running if it is merely a Lose wire ... and YES Definitely get the Iron 'checked' professionally before 'binning' it.

A cheap Multimeter Must be Easily found 'At the Mall',..lol in the US  ;)  :D

Gerry

Quote from: SO_tailor on November 24, 2023, 05:37:09 AM
Quote from: stoo23 on November 24, 2023, 05:23:32 AMDamn, your 'on the case' Gerry, I was thinking the same thing, at it's Age, it could easily just have a lose connection  :)

same thought as you guys. I'll have to juts get a replacement probably. That plastic cord is something I don't want to mess with. I believe the plastic was used back then to  [prevent the wire from damaging.

If you look at modern irons, you'll see everything from cloth covered to plastic flex. Don't get wound up by the type. I extended the foot-pedal lead on my old singer using brown, lighting cable (of the correct rating). Different from the original, but who cares, it works.

It's dumb to junk an iron without testing it first. A multimeter can be as cheap as $10 - $15 dollars and they're easy to find (supermarkets often sell them in their aisles here in the UK). And your iron might be an incredibly easy fix. At the very least undo the socket and plugs of the flex, to see if there's a loose connection. If a wire has slipped, it's a minute's work to get your iron back up and running.

Sorry about not checking your location, I couldn't see it when typing the reply, though should have scrolled up to check. Anyway, we know the rating.

SO_tailor

interesting stoo, wouldn't be surprised that it was like that for a long time. I'll admit we in the US tend to be a bit late to the train. It must have been when we were a world superpower.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: Gerry on November 24, 2023, 05:54:32 AM
Quote from: SO_tailor on November 24, 2023, 05:37:09 AM

If you look at modern irons, you'll see everything from cloth covered to plastic flex. Don't get wound up by they type of flex. I extended the foot-pedal lead on my old singer using brown, lighting cable (of the correct rating). Different from the original, but who cares, it works.

It's dumb to junk an iron without testing it first. A multimeter can be as cheap as $10 - $15 dollars and they're easy to find (supermarkets often sell them in their aisles here in the UK). And your iron might be an incredibly easy fix. At the very least undo the socket and plugs of the flex, to see if there's a loose connection. If a wire has slipped, it's a minutes work to get your iron back up and running.

Sorry about not checking your location, I couldn't see it when typing the reply, though should have scrolled up to check. Anyway, we know the rating.

I'm sure it'll likely be easy to do. Like I said, Irony died form the cord, not the heater. So hopefully I'll be able to find a wire or something.

No worries on the location thing, I barley know how to use those tech thingys. Just realized I said "America" instead of US. Silly me!
—Solomon/Sol

stoo23

No,.. don't you mean,.. "USA,...USA,...USA,..."  ;)  :D  :P

It says:

SO_tailor

—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

You know what? I'm actually going to edit that, hold on.
—Solomon/Sol