Is AI in Fashion Design Ready to Outshine Human Creativity?

Started by De De, July 18, 2024, 02:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

De De

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share our new insight about the role of AI in fashion design. Our latest blog explores whether AI Designers Overtake Human Creativity in Fashion.

🧵 https://www.sixatomic.com/blog/will-ai-designers-overtake-human-creativity-in-fashion 🧵

In this article, we delve into how AI technology is not just enhancing but revolutionising the creation of production-ready patterns. We discuss the integration of AI with traditional fashion design processes, highlighting the potential for creating exquisite, perfectly fitted garments using AI-generated patterns. The blog offers a deep dive into how this fusion of cutting-edge technology with the cherished traditions of bespoke tailoring is set to redefine our industry.

The potential for creating exquisite, perfectly fitted garments with the aid of AI-generated patterns is truly exciting.

I believe AI is a tool to enhance, not replace, human ingenuity. The collaboration between human creativity and AI can push innovation further, ensuring fashion remains a profoundly human art form enriched by technology.

SO_tailor

Well I think AI is utter garbage. It's not a 'tool' if it's practically creating the entire design without you using more than 10% those gray cells.
People say this situation is ditto to the Industrial Revolution; problem though is that those machines were only to help make the labor cheaper and easier— AI like chatgpt on the other hand is practically designed to make an entire novella with a press of a button without developing it yourself (which by the way is how the most prolific stories are made).
I highly doubt we'd consider Shakespeare the greatest English writer of all time if he just had someone write out a prompt. Truth is AI is the most humiliating thing we as a human society have ever created, we now just have to type no more than a single paragraph and an entire short story is written without you trying to think for yourself.

The only way anyone can write a GOOD anything is only able when one can sculpt the paper into their image and liking. Only then you can see if a story would work or not.
You may say: "But what if I write an entire novel and the story isn't good?" I say tough nuggets— scrap it and write another.

Edit: I know this is about clothes and not writing but the same premise still applies.
—Solomon/Sol

Hendrick

I have fiddled with AI in illustration and design for a good while... Trust me; the quality of the result will always depend on the parameters as set by the "user". Meaning that the "user" will need a maximum technical knowledge as well as abundant aesthetic insight... Like with forecasting based on statistics, AI is able to combine enormous volumes of data, alas all based on the past... So basically, you may expect "differentness" from AI but "newness" only from the human brain. Compare this to music where AI can compile a tune based on known music through sampling (also called "gravedigging" in the hiphop industry); it may sound different, but is it new? Should a book not be more than a collection of characters, mashed-up by an algorithm? Put otherwise; isn't AI just a bunch of algorythms mimicking sentiments itself?

Cheerio, Hendrick   

Schneiderfrei

Some, but not many, of the translations I have presented on this forum have had the benefit of the new AI. The quality of translation from German into English, took a dramatic turn in September 2020. I found I was suddenly getting near perfect translations of my antique medicine work, and the tailoring ones were almost as good. Amusingly AI had not penetrated the deepest 'secret language' of the old German tailoring community, at least last time I looked. ;)
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 21, 2024, 09:27:00 AMThe quality of translation from German into English,
Did you get a chance to try gothic German scans? I'm wondering if it's gotten THAT good in recognition.

Steelmillal

Quote from: Hendrick on July 21, 2024, 03:32:58 AMhave fiddled with AI

Garbage in, garbage out, like all manufacturing automation programing. There's reasons we knuckle-draggers spend so much time wringing out our systems before turning over to operations. I've looked the fancy humanless clothes construction cells and they work, but when they don't, smoke is usually involved. Never had that with my tailor.

Computers are fads. Bring back the slide rule!

Schneiderfrei

Quote from: Steelmillal on July 24, 2024, 02:48:05 AM
Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 21, 2024, 09:27:00 AMThe quality of translation from German into English,
Did you get a chance to try gothic German scans? I'm wondering if it's gotten THAT good in recognition.

The problem in that case Steelmillal is not one of AI, but in the scope of the Character Recognition software (OCR).

I have sadly, not come across any that will read Fractur or Sueterlin, or Kroeburn ( https://www.abstractfonts.com/font/3424 ). So we dont even get to create scripts to translate.

Mind you, I hav'n't looked for a very long time. Does anyone know of such a thing?

SO_tailor

Quote from: Hendrick on July 21, 2024, 03:32:58 AMI have fiddled with AI in illustration and design for a good while... Trust me; the quality of the result will always depend on the parameters as set by the "user". Meaning that the "user" will need a maximum technical knowledge as well as abundant aesthetic insight... Like with forecasting based on statistics, AI is able to combine enormous volumes of data, alas all based on the past... So basically, you may expect "differentness" from AI but "newness" only from the human brain. Compare this to music where AI can compile a tune based on known music through sampling (also called "gravedigging" in the hiphop industry); it may sound different, but is it new? Should a book not be more than a collection of characters, mashed-up by an algorithm? Put otherwise; isn't AI just a bunch of algorythms mimicking sentiments itself?

Cheerio, Hendrick 
I'm not an IT techy decky, Hendrick, but I can roughly say I think that's an accurate summary of AI.
That brings a question however— if the user has a high knowledge of aesthetics... like you mentioned... why not just use that to write the story yourself?
The answer gives the ugly truth that it's just plain laziness. You're not doing any "work" if you're just letting a computer it fill out and expand the plot lines, dialogue, development and so forth, from a tiny prompt while you just kick back and relax. If you don't want to do any real work then it's not for you to be a writer, illustrator, artist, or even a tailor! All creative efforts requires dedication, sweat, and effort in my book. A defender of AI could say that it takes effort to write a prompt to get the "result", though I think that's pathetic.

Truth is we humans get satisfaction from the work we make from the ground, and I can assure you that no human being will EVER be satisfied with a work they didn't actually create.

To be honest I don't think many of the AI computer scientists and developers really understand the point of being an artistic or the point of art; in fact I get the impression they believe that the arts are like office jobs—just a regular ole thing you just do to make ends meet and get through until you turn 60 and retire— blatantly glossing over the expression of it. How the heck can you express yourself with a soulless prompt pumper? It's pathetic way and excuse, but I digress.
—Solomon/Sol

spookietoo

Is there opportunity for AI to enhance the overall quality of life for all of mankind? Oh, yes.

Will AI be used to create the most heinous of opportunities for mankind to exist at levels of evil and corruption never before experienced in our world? This is an irrefutable, absolute guarantee.

I try my best to keep a positive attitude. The mere mention of AI obliterates my ability to do so.

Schneiderfrei

Quote from: spookietoo on July 26, 2024, 02:54:13 PMIs there opportunity for AI to enhance the overall quality of life for all of mankind? Oh, yes.

Will AI be used to create the most heinous of opportunities for mankind to exist at levels of evil and corruption never before experienced in our world? This is an irrefutable, absolute guarantee.

I try my best to keep a positive attitude. The mere mention of AI obliterates my ability to do so.

No arguement from me there.

G

Greger

AI is more for scanning information. It has no heart or soul. Your customer has both heart and soul. Artist have heart and soul to create for the customer. The latter two intertwine. AI, with enough information, might come up with a nice pattern for a custom. But, if the customer doesn't like it when he/her sees it on his/her body a tailor is necessary with inlays to redesign then and there. AI is up the creek.