Italian Tape Measures

Started by SO_tailor, January 25, 2023, 04:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

So I was in Northern Italy for Christmas, near the alps, and thankfully no one suspected I was a American tourist as I was able to "blend in", mainly because I wear flat caps, shirts and ties, (basically I dress better than my peers across the pond). I actually met a cook at this tiny restaurant near the Alps, and he was wearing a brown newsboy cap with a white shirt and apron, sleeves rolled up. Goes to show you can dress up regardless of your occupation.
Anyhow I picked up this metric tape measure at a trade market. Unfortunately it's not made by Hoechstmass, but it's a high quality fiberglass. It has one of these rare prints that are exclusive to italy. They are like the square if it went into halves on the long arm.
It's in metric too, which is the units I prefer to work in.

"Wait, an American using the metric system? WUT?!"

Yes I use the metric system. I just hate using fractions, prefer decimal points better. And I know decimals are just fractions divided by the numerator and denominator, but I still prefer decimal points. Also it makes me feel smarter, so who's complaining? Sadly most of my tools are in imperial units, and I have no choice but to have to use stinking inches to draft. I'm looking forward to replace my tools with their metric counterparts. Unfortunately Fairgate is still moving to their new location so that stinks.

(The tape measure I got from italy. "Misura per Sarti" is italian for "fit for tailors".)
—Solomon/Sol