Old School Machine Making

Started by Gerry, January 15, 2023, 06:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

Hendrick

Nice decals! A spicy stitcher in the end... That cigarette made me light one up... Can you begin to immagine how many class 15 machines (and clones) are still in use today? Even Singer manufactured under license in India are still some of the best selling machines over there ("tailor series", hand crank or treadle). The class 15 Singer was first introduced, I believe, in 1915...

Gerry

I used to own something very similar. It was made in Singapore in the 1950s and belonged to my late partner's parents. I can't remember the exact details, but the decals were very oriental (they might even have been dragons). We didn't have the space, and it never got used because it was hand-cranked, so it went. Shame, it was beautiful.

I'd take one of the above machines over a computerised, plastic POS any day.

Schneiderfrei

Now I don't want to sound disparaging.  I'm pretty handy with the inside of my own machines, but 'Old School?'  It seems more like modern day Kolkata. ;)
Schneider sind auch Leute

Gerry

Schneiderfrei

Yeah, the look is that, but I doubt that's what the inside of the Singer factory looked like exactly, in 1930?? :)
Schneider sind auch Leute

spookietoo

Watching the conditions under which these machines are being produced has caused me to re-evaluate how and why there has always been an issue with the quality of many imported goods.