Andrew Ramroop's Savile Row Academy

Started by Raymond Ghobrial, April 09, 2022, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymond Ghobrial

Hello all,
My name is Raymond Mina Ghobrial, i'm from lebanon and i'm in my third year in college (business administration).
I grew up to a family that only wore bespoke clothes, and even shoes (my grandfather). My dad used to take me with him for his suit's provas when i a kid, he was a lawyer who really cared for his look, and i was always fascinated with the artisitiry that goes into making a suit and the elgance that a well made bespoke suit emposed on the wearer.

Apparently i enherted an over-dosed love for Bespoke garments that i wanna become a Bespoke Tailor myself!

Unfortunately there are any bespoke tailoring houses left in Lebanon that i can learn from through an apprenticeship; i had to look for schools that teaches Bespoke Tailoring, and i found Livrano.school. But 15,000€+VAT per year (3 Years needed) plus moving to Florence in a Sci-fi.

And then i stumbled upon this video  of the Savile Row Bespoke Academy by Andrew Ramroop of Maurice Sedwell.
He (supposedly) teaches all you need to know to; become a Cutter, Tailor or Master Tailor, in any of Savile Row Houses; start your own Bespoke Tailoring business, and offers both In-House courses and ONLINE courses!

"The curriculum consists of a growing library over 200 up-to-date training videos. Certificates of achievement will be issued to students upon completion of each module. Certificate of completion in Bespoke Tailoring will be awarded upon completion of the entire course. A special ARTS Certificate will be awarded to exceptional students achieveing above 95% PREMIUM Students will have weekly live discussion/feedback with Prof. Ramroop."

Modules:
- Pattern Drafting, Manipulation/Figuration & Grading (86 Lessons -17.5 h - 5,900 USD).
- Fitting Diagnosis and Remedies (15 Lessons - 3,000 USD). This Module is exclusively for PREMIUM Members.
- One To One Weekly Meeting (Prof. Andrew M Ramroop). This Module is exclusively for PREMIUM Members.
- Foundation & Hand Sewing Skills (60 Lessons - 10 h - 880 USD).
- Waistcoat Making (65 Lessons - 13.5 h - 880 USD).
- Trouser Making (28 Lessons -11 h - 880 USD).
- Jacket/ Coat Making (202 Lessons - 55 h - 5,900 USD)​.

*PREMIUM (12,900 USD): contains all modules, in addition to, "One To One Weekly Meeting"; alot more (excluding the Weekly Meeting) if each module were to be bought separately.
*VOLITION (9,900) USD: contains all modules except for "Fitting Diagnosis and Remedies" and excludes "One To One Weekly Meeting"; alot more if each module were to be bought separately.

That's about less than one year's fee at Liverano School, for the whole curriculum!

What are your thoughts about him and the Online academy?
Did any of you enrol in any of his Moduels?
"Excellence" is not a gift, but a skill that takes practice.
We do not act "rightly" because we are "excellent",
in fact we achieve "excellence" by acting "rightly".

Discord: Tailoring.Lover

Raymond Ghobrial

I think these are perviews from the online academy:

ULTRA Bespoke Design and Style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVYSPZBBmns

Tools and Materials used in Bespoke Tailoring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7NyuQ8T5M

Anatomy of the Trousers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyqI__CJPgU

Taking Direct Measurements for a 3 Piece Bespoke Suit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vd43ENI1g

Where, Why & How to Attach a Button
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJ_09Rznfg

Gerry

I don't know of anyone who has done the course, but I couldn't think of a better teacher than Andrew Ramroop. As with many top cutters, he learnt from doing classes at one of the London colleges. People who have been down that route tend to have more flair and versatility than those who have only learnt cutting via apprenticeship. That aside, the suits that Maurice Sedwell make are quite beautiful. The pattern matching is really impressive.

Rory Duffy has a series of video courses on vimeo. They contain a lot of great info. Rory has a little academy in Ireland, too, which does one-to-one teaching. Worth considering.

https://www.handcrafttailor.com/about-the-hta

SO_tailor

The Savile Row Academy is one of the best schools in tailoring. It's almost like a reincarnation of the long gone Tailor and Cutter academy. It's a blessing to be able to go to a school like that. I believe Mr. Ramroop has some videos on YouTube that are worth checking out.
—Solomon/Sol

Raymond Ghobrial

Quote from: Gerry on April 09, 2022, 07:55:11 PM
I don't know of anyone who has done the course, but I couldn't think of a better teacher than Andrew Ramroop. As with many top cutters, he learnt from doing classes at one of the London colleges. People who have been down that route tend to have more flair and versatility than those who have only learnt cutting via apprenticeship. That aside, the suits that Maurice Sedwell make are quite beautiful. The pattern matching is really impressive.

I did some research and apparently; yes, he is the one!

Quote from: Gerry on April 09, 2022, 07:55:11 PM
Rory Duffy has a series of video courses on vimeo. They contain a lot of great info. Rory has a little academy in Ireland, too, which does one-to-one teaching. Worth considering.

I will give it a look too.

Raymond Ghobrial

Quote from: SO_tailor on April 10, 2022, 05:20:51 AM
The Savile Row Academy is one of the best schools in tailoring. It's almost like a reincarnation of the long gone Tailor and Cutter academy. It's a blessing to be able to go to a school like that.

Indeed!

Quote from: SO_tailor on April 10, 2022, 05:20:51 AM
I believe Mr. Ramroop has some videos on YouTube that are worth checking out.

I watched them all, he's a true Master Tailor. And a great teacher too..

Raymond Ghobrial

I would have liked to attend the academy in London, but moving to london would be impossible for me.

I really like the idea of combining the library of prerecorded videos, with the One to One Weekly Meetings with Prof. Ramroop.
I agree it's the closest you can find to the "Tailor and Cutter Academy".
The thing is that, the only modules i'm financially cable of purchasing would be one the 880$ ones.. it's a bit rough for me and my family.

The program is on thinkific platform, if someone else is interesed, maybe we can get it with each other, so that each pays a lot less?
We will share the account.
And It comes a 36 month access and "the PREMIUM course have the option to extend the time with a nominal fee of $80 USD annually, which includes ACCESS TO ALL AREAS including new future lessons." - https://www.artssavilerow.com/pages/terms

And if you prefer to, you can also download it an keep it on your pc forever.

Raymond Ghobrial

Quote from: Raymond Ghobrial on April 11, 2022, 09:37:43 AM
I would have liked to attend the academy in London, but moving to london would be impossible for me.

I really like the idea of combining the library of prerecorded videos, with the One to One Weekly Meetings with Prof. Ramroop.
I agree it's the closest you can find to the "Tailor and Cutter Academy".
The thing is that, the only modules i'm financially cable of purchasing would be one the 880$ ones.. it's a bit rough for me and my family.

The program is on thinkific platform, if someone else is interesed, maybe we can get it with each other, so that each pays a lot less?
We will share the account.
And It comes a 36 month access and "the PREMIUM course have the option to extend the time with a nominal fee of $80 USD annually, which includes ACCESS TO ALL AREAS including new future lessons." - https://www.artssavilerow.com/pages/terms

And if you prefer to, you can also download it an keep it on your pc forever.

That can go from 430$ for the whole program if we were a group of 30, down to 322-285$ if we were a group of 40 to 50! The more the better..

Raymond Ghobrial

**commented twice by mistake**

SO_tailor

Quote from: Raymond Ghobrial on April 11, 2022, 09:37:43 AM
They have a online course if I remember correctly.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Oh, now I see what you mean.
Rory Duffy has a good series on waistcoats, coats, trousers etc. There is also this little series by "Become a tailor" on making jackets, vests, shirts, and pants/trousers. Both Duffy's and Jungclaus are on Vimeo. Jungclaus also has a couple of books on pattern drafting that you could read. I think I had a link to that series over on the 'Coat Makers Forum'.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

—Solomon/Sol

Raymond Ghobrial

Thank you very much sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

SO_tailor

—Solomon/Sol

Gerry

Less relevant if you can't afford to come to the UK, but for those already here, another couple of courses worth bearing in mind:

https://desmerrion.com/careers/

https://www.newham.ac.uk/courses/fashion-tailoring#

Quite a lot of UK tailors started at Newham. It seems to be a good way of getting your foot in the door of many Savile Row establishments.