Seven fold tie

Started by Lorna B, July 18, 2019, 07:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorna B

I am keen to try making a seven fold necktie but I'm having trouble finding a pattern and don't have one that I can take apart to reverse engineer.  I would appreciate any advice members can give. 

Henry Hall

Seven-fold ties seem to me a total waste of silk, since most of it is folded inside in lieu of interlining.

However, that's not what you asked. There is a description and print-out pdf pattern here:

https://www.tie-a-tie.net/7-fold-ties-what-it-means/
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Lorna B

Hi Henry.  Thank you for your response.  I have tried to download the pattern from this site but, like other viewers, have been unsuccessful.  On reflection I can see the absolute sense of what you are saying and think I will mock up a tie using lining and interfacing.  If you have any tips they would be gratefully received.  Kind regards, Lorna

Kiem

I was able to download the file as follows:

Right click on the blue link called "free 7-fold necktie pattern".
There should be an option saying something like, download as, or perhaps, download attached file as. (not sure what it says in english, my computer shows dutch text).

And then you should be able to select where you want to save the file on your computer.

I tryd to attach the file here but wasn't able to upload the pdf file.

Schneiderfrei

Kiem, in english it simply says, "Open link in new tab."

The "Excellent Instructions link seems to be dead.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Kiem

Opening the page in a new tab doesn't allow me to download it.
A earlier comment stated that he or she was not able to download the file.

I used there 4th option down from the right click menu, which allows you to directly download the file attached to the link.

Hope that makes sense :D

Schneiderfrei

Thanks Kiem,

My browser doesn't give me the option you show.

But I have the pattern downlod now.

Schneiderfrei

Henry Hall,

do you have the original instructions? By chance.

The page is evidently dead, no further questions were answered after 2015, and the URL is gone.

G

Schneiderfrei

Henry Hall

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on December 28, 2019, 09:05:50 AM
Henry Hall,

do you have the original instructions? By chance.

The page is evidently dead, no further questions were answered after 2015, and the URL is gone.

G

I don't have them. I didn't think about it at the time. :(

Quote from: SchneiderfreiThese show the basic nature of the folds, but I can't work out what the extra inlay is for, on the pattern given above.

Is there extra inlay? That bit on the bottom right? I confess that I don't see the point of 7-fold ties. For that amount of cloth you could make two. Having all that silk folded in there seems irrational and who really wants a tie that weighs the same as your jacket?! The knot would be enormous.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

No worries,

I just have an eye to loose ends.

:)

meta

The instructions for making the tie are archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070709014239/http://sevenfoldties.reflexblue.org/seven_fold/stepbystep.php

Gerry

Vogue sewing pattern No. 6933 (from the late 1940s) supposedly has the pattern and instructions for a seven fold:

https://vintagepatterns.fandom.com/wiki/Vogue_6933

There are a number on eBay, at an affordable price. I ordered one a while ago, but the post being what it is (over three weeks late) in my part of the UK, it has yet to arrive. I'll report back if it ever arrives.

SO_tailor

Ok I'll just be honest I really don't care for seven fold ties- in fact I hate them. I like to regard them as "seven sin ties" as they're ridiculously thick and difficult to knot. In my opinion three fold ties are better as their thinness makes it a little more easier for several knots without bunching up. Seven fold ties a are just uncomfortable to wear on the neck. You might as well grab a five foot rope and tie it around ye neck.

I know that this isn't called for but this is the internet and I thought I might just chime my opinion in.
—Solomon/Sol