Preferred Seam Allowances, Question for Book

Started by JM MacLachlan, October 22, 2020, 01:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM MacLachlan

Hey all, so I'm coming down to the last wee bit of my book being finished.

So far, I have made all drafts with 1/4"( 7mm) seams however, I know the Rundschau mentions both 7mm and 1cm seams and Chaudhry does 3/8" (1cm) as well as other resources.

Would it behoove me to add at least one draft demonstrating the system with 1cm seams? I only ask as the distribution of measures needs to he taken into consideration and since this work is "international" and there are different standards. Or should I even bother as long as I give imperial/ metric considerations?

Schneiderfrei

It would probably help.  Even some professionals in metric measuring countries might baulk at the imperial terms.
Schneider sind auch Leute

JM MacLachlan

Well Im already doing it dual measure systems. I'm just not sure how common 1cm seams are or if even "standard".

Schneiderfrei

I am not a professional, but I have not heard of 1 cm seams being used in industry, rather for homesewers.  All the German ones I've encountered are 0.75 cm.  And I thought 1/4 inch for British seams.  I would be very happy to be corrected in this though.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

OlymposPartizanos

It seems that in German and some metric measuring countries use a 0.75mm seam allowance a lot (like some old   Soviet-Russian books sometimes). I've read a book originally Japanese using a 7mm seam. What I got in touch with more is that some Chinese books from 50s to 90s, ramdomly using 8mm, 1cm, or a 0.2 "Chinese market inch" (which is about 6.66mm) depends on discription of the different book.