Does anyone have a good source on making-up of a 19th century "summer vest"?

Started by jude, August 29, 2021, 06:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jude

From Jason Maclochlainn's book "The Victorian Tailor":
QuoteWashing/summer vest: These are made up without an interlining, except a strip of linen to take buttonholes and secure eyelet holes for attaching buttons. As the buttons are removable for this type of vest, find buttons with split rings.

I assume this is a vest for warm weather, made from summer suiting. Am I right in thinking one would make it the same way as a normal vest, just with no canvas/linen? That seems to be the meaning here but it doesn't feel quite right -- would be good if I could find another source.

Have two volumes of MTOC through my library but they don't mention summer vests specifically -- thought that before I do a deeper dive I'd ask here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

TTailor

Strange, I have not seen mention of "summer vests" either in any of my books but that doesn't mean they didn't exist.
If the advice is to use removable buttons, they would be shank buttons. You would make eyelet holes for the shanks to go through and you would need an inner button facing added, so you had access to the split rings or small cotter pins which hold the buttons in place. This protects your shirt from the hardware.

I wonder if the intention is that all the components should be washable?

This is how  old formal pique vests are made. They get cleaned and starched, and the buttons or decorative studs are removable until the waistcoat is dry and pressed.

peterle

I know the term from 50s rundschau papers featuring "summer suits". They were meant to be made of linnen and the main feature was, that linnen doesn´t take ironwork. Therefore the patterns were a bit different (armhole not so close i.e. no crooked shoulder when I remember correctly). This could be worth a thought for victorian patterns also.