Bernina record 730

Started by TTailor, July 28, 2021, 10:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTailor

I recently inherited a Bernina record 730 from my sister in law.
Her mother bought it in the early 1970's I believe. It comes with all the assorted feet and it is in a cabinet with a lift mechanism.
I don't really need another machine, let alone one in a cabinet, but they seem to be solid, and maybe I could keep it as a backup or for my daughter if she moves back to this part of the country.

This issues though are a cracked nylon cam gear, which I have ordered a replacement part for, and luckily I found a youtube video and a static picture step by step documented fix.

But, the other two issues are that the needle position switch is seized as is the knob which lowers the feed dogs.
Any advice for how I can fix this  or what I can use to free up these seized areas.

I can of course take it to the guys who look after the industrials I have but I though it might be something I could attempt.

Schneiderfrei

I have a 737. 

Does your 730 have a free arm or a flat bed?  Mine is a flat bed. It's so neat and reliable, I have a tendency to just use it.  Plus, as Victoria Quinn has pointed out the feet are actually forged by Hephastus and quenched in the blood of Pegasus.

I have taken off the bottom plate on mine, disconnected, of course (mind the screws don't get lost). The arragement should be simple enough to determine which rods and joints are responsible for which actions.

Small quantities of kero on a cotton-bud are good for freeing up stuck parts.

The new nylon gear should never see oil, only silicone.  There was a post about that some time ago.

It's kind of fun.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

TTailor

It has a free arm, but it does not have the metal slide in to make it a flat bed, but rather a wooden slide in piece instead. The lift in the cabinet is set to make that wooden piece level with the cabinet.
Good to know about the oil not being compatible with the nylon gear.

Schneiderfrei

Here'sthe post, from 2017:

http://movsd.com/BespokeCutter/index.php?topic=28.45

The next three posts from this.  BTW, my machine was/is not 730 but 737.

Re: Vintage Singer Machines
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »

G

spookietoo

Teri- there are several very active vintage machine groups on the Groups.io forums should you run into any additional issues. The members of the various groups are completely smitten with collecting and repairing machines.

Not sure if it's available in Canada, but I've been using Triflow oil for several years now. It breaks down old oil, re-lubricates and contains micro particles of teflon to help prevent wear on the parts. They have also come out with a soy based grease that is safe for plastic and nylon, but I haven't tried it yet. The oil is so good I would think the grease would be the same. The oil is available at most of the bicycle shops here, though I've only located the grease on Amazon.

I've never used one of the Records, but I've heard nothing but great things about them, so I'd definitely have to give one a spin or two given the chance.

Out of curiosity, does using a domestic machine at home suit your needs after using an industrial at work, or do you have an industrial at home? I'm only asking as most professional chefs I've met make do with residential cook tops at home due to the liability incurred with having a commercial range in a residence. Most say they usually enjoy the relaxing pace of the domestics when they're at home. Just curious.

Schneiderfrei

Great info thanks Spookytoo.

Victoria Quinn

If its a varnish issue from old dried out oil, Kerosene.  It makes a good lubricating solvent to break down oil residues left on metals, and dried out grease.  Once it's free'd just clean it off and oil as per usual.  I usually keep a gallon tin from the camping aisle on my work bench.
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

TTailor

Spookietoo, i rarely sew at home, or for myself in general,  but I have a machine on hand just in case.
I have a rented space that I share with a colleague and thats where I have my industrials and cutting table, and all the other paraphernalia of the job.

I think that a domestic machine is sometimes the best machine for a particular job, so I use a domestic serger set for four thread stretch stitch on stretch performance fabric, or I might use a domestic to zig a lighter fabric rather than use my Pfaff industrial zig.
Generally though I do prefer to use my industrials for most sewing tasks.

spookietoo

Terri, thanks, I don't know why but I find comparison's like that quite interesting. Never know when I "just need to know" something.  :)

hutch--

A trick with non pressurised lubricant machines, mix Singer sewing machine oil with a teflon gearbox additive and it works great on non pressurised lubrication typ machines. I mainly use a pair of Elnas but I still own a couple of pristine old Berninas and this turns them from reasonable machines to fast ones (if that matters).
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

TTailor

Thanks Hutch, I have finished a contract with the theatre as well as another small but intense job, so I have some spare time now, and I hope to get onto the restoration.

My colleague recently bought a used Bernina 950 semi industrial and wow that is an awesome machine.
I used it for buttonholes recently, but it handles pretty much anything we have thrown at it in the last few months. Its solid!

theresa in tucson

Terri, the sewing lab at school has a Bernina 950 that I covet.  The 950s are beautiful machines for when you want something between industrial and domestic.  The nice thing about our school machine is it will take any of the Bernina feet from my two Berninas, an 830 and a 930.