Thread recommendations

Started by Futura, October 18, 2020, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futura

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good quality soft thread suitable for overcasting raw edges, specifically on trousers? I am currently using a zigzag stitch (or cam depending on the material) on a domestic sewing machine. I don't have the room yet after moving house to unbox my overlockers and keep them set up, unfortunately. The threads I've tried so far are too harsh and can be felt from the right side. Thanks!

Hendrick

Hi, to avoid "scratchy" seams try to use a light overlocker yarn (that usually is a bit fluffier than your regular sewing yarn). You may have to drop your tension a little, because it tends to break a little easier. I personally switched from "professional" to "Lidl" thread for overlocking; it's not the nec ultra plus of sewing thread but at a Euro fifty for 5000 meters the price/quality ratio is extremely hard to beat! Good sewing, Hendrick

Tailleuse

When I did it by hand in a class, we were told to use basting thread. Not knowing any better at the time, I used a basting thread from WAWAK that was coated. If I were to do it again, I'd use a soft basting thread. I like the Torre brand available from Bias Bespoke.

posaune

I learnt doing it with fine sewing silk, a shade darker then the shell fabric. No knots.
lg
posaune

Der Zuschneider

Overlock yarn is the finest yarn you can get today. You can hand overcast with this yarn. The thinner the seam becomes, the better. Invest in an industrial serger.
Tailoring is the love of doing art at OCD level.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196434445@N05/albums

Futura

I finally dug out one of my overlockers, an old Babylock, and got it running. Alas, it is a model EA-605 that does a 4 thread safety stitch, a 2 thread chain stitch, or a 2 thread overlock. I need a 3 thread!

I have a 3 thread overlocker of similar age but can't find where we packed it after moving twice...  :'(

Hendrick

Futura, try to take out the left needle, works with mine (similar machine)...

Der Zuschneider

I have an MO-623 serger, juki to sell for cheap.
Tailoring is the love of doing art at OCD level.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196434445@N05/albums