Has anyone tried the Heritage line from Klein Cuttlery

Started by Victoria Quinn, March 05, 2021, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria Quinn

Just curious if anyone has tried Klein cutlery's heritage line. I know the company for their hand tools, but was unaware about a division of scissor manufacturing. They look like they could be promising. They actually have scissors that look like scissors.
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

theresa in tucson

I had a pair of their electrician's scissors in my tool bag.  They were great but they "walked" when our building site got broken into.  We got the stolen tools back except for the scissors.  Klein makes electricians tools and other tools for the building trades.  To me they are like "Singer"; everyone knocks them off. 

Victoria Quinn

So their fabric shears and trimmers would be pretty good I take it.  Their prices aren't bad, and they seem to carry a full range.

theresa in tucson

Yes, but tools are tools, only as good as the hands wielding them.  Of course they do have to be decent to start with .

Victoria Quinn

While it's true that tools are only as good as the hand that wields them; "the true value of a quality tool is one's sanity" is something my dad taught me. Millimeters are miles. If you have to fight the tool and the project, you'll never make it out alive.

Schneiderfrei

Victoria Quinn I agree,

The old adage, "It's not the tool -- it's how you use it." is not not true.  If you can learn with a good tool, you learn a very different experience than with a poor one.

A master craftman's workshop is not full of rubbish.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

Victoria Quinn

I'm slowly weeding out the trash from my sewing kit.  Getting it together has definitely been an uphill battle against marketing.  I walk out of so many sewing shops empty handed, and burn a lot of postage in returns looking for tools that don't feel like they came from the "back to school" section of Walmart.  Probably a bit harsh, but I like a little heft and counterbalance to my blades (Plus rubberized/cushioned grips are annoying to pick up and put down).  Flimsy plastic rulers/french curves are another of my dislikes, but I was recently turned onto Fairgate rulers and they look quite promising.  They even have tracing wheels that aren't all plastic!  Super excited for that find!

hutch--

I have a straight forward view of artists and paintbrushes, Da Vinci did not paint the Mona Lisa with a thumbnail dipped in tar. Its generally the case that artists either make or buy the tools they require and lean how to use them properly. Big snippers are basically the same deal, get them into "good nick", learn how to use them properly and you will cut like a rocket.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: hutch-- on March 06, 2021, 08:52:03 AM
I have a straight forward view of artists and paintbrushes, Da Vinci did not paint the Mona Lisa with a thumbnail dipped in tar. Its generally the case that artists either make or buy the tools they require and lean how to use them properly. Big snippers are basically the same deal, get them into "good nick", learn how to use them properly and you will cut like a rocket.
Giving credit where credit is due... your post on big bolt shears came up on one of my google searches looking for larger shears (after a month or so of actively searching), and I decided I had to (A). have a pair, and (B). learn the rest of to tricks of the trade from this site.  I can only imagine how fast things will go once I get them tuned up, but straight out of the box I used them on a project and even with the blades wriggling around blazed a laser straight line down a pair of trousers.  Now I need to round out my "snips", and then upgrade my scales.  I studied Mechanical Engineering before joining the Army, and a good straight edge is something I can't do without.

Schneiderfrei

Speaking of straight edges, are there any better brands for straight edge rulers than Lufkin?
Schneider sind auch Leute