Special shears

Started by peterle, March 25, 2021, 03:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterle

Has anybody infos about such shears and the purpose of this special hinge? They are probably from Solingen.

Schneiderfrei

Very interesting.  I have no idea, of course, but obviously the opening is limited.
Schneider sind auch Leute

peterle

My consideration was that the excenter hinge cares for a "pulling" cut thus avoiding fabric pushing while cutting. Pre micro teeth technique? The lower spring loaded screw would care for keeping the blades in touch?

hutch--

I have never seen a pair like this but I think I understand what they do. The double pivot points prevent the full opening to have too much blade angles so that they do not push certain types of fabrics while cutting.

peterle is correct here. Interestingly enough you can get much the same affect on a pair of shears that have been sharpened too many times.

If the inside face of an old pair of shears is in reasonable nick and they are sharpened properly with the right scratch pattern (like fine serrations) they lose the cutting power of a full bladed pair but cut fine difficult fabrics easily.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

Love the reasoning going on.  Where did you find these peterle?  Or are they just from an image?

peterle

Just images yet. I´m considering to buy them because they are so unique.

Schneiderfrei

Indeed, that is what I would do.
:)

posaune

I think I saw once one in action. It was on a slippery silk satin and the satin behaved on the cutting table not much lifting. Today you would use a rotary cutter.
posaune

Schneiderfrei

Wonderful, how old engineering problems were solved.