Author Topic: Top of the morning to you from sunny South Africa  (Read 80 times)

Hanlan Munro

• Human Being
Top of the morning to you from sunny South Africa
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
Felicitations my good people,

I am very pleased to have found this forum (thanks to the r/tailors subreddit).

I'm a 30 year old South African guy who's been interested in bespoke menswear since 2014 (I picked up Bernhard Roetzel's Gentleman and my mind was blown). During that time I've developed more of an interest in the matter but it was only when I started watching Sartorial Talks on youtube where I started developing an itch for taking it to the next level.

The catalyst which cause me to embark on this journey was the need for a new hobby during lockdown in South Africa (since liquor and cigarettes are banned I have gone cold turkey on both, but the new-found sobriety provided just the impetus needed to delve into this hobby).

So here I am, I have a found a couple of the classic tailoring books online and I've bought a 2nd hand sewin machine (although I realise that most tailoring is done by hand). Before I got the books (or found this forum for that matter) I was struggling immensely with finding patterns for a 3 piece suit, but that seems to be sorted now.

At present I am still reading through the books, and trying to create a so-called "tailoring curriculum" to systematically teach myself the aspects in a structured manner. I've also started practising rows and rows of the various stitches to train my fingers and my eyes since sewing is admittedly a new (and rather awkward) skill.

I look forward to learning from everybody here, and I hope that in time I can present my efforts to you all for feedback.

Hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!

Regards,

Hanlan

spookietoo

• Home Sewist - Focusing on Tailoring TN - U.S.A.
Re: Top of the morning to you from sunny South Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
Welcome Hanlan! Good to have you here.

I'm sorry about your no alcohol rule - don't know what I'd do without an occasional glass of vino at the moment. Curious about the ciggies though.  I would think cold turkey withdrawal would make for an increase in domestic disturbance. Then again, when this is over,I would imagine the overall number of smokers would be substantially decreased.

Good sewing to you. And it wouldn't hurt to make something like PJ pants or tote bags to learn how to manipulate fabric in a machine. You've got a substantial learning curve ahead so breaking up the difficult parts with something simple can be a nice break.

Hanlan Munro

• Human Being
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:13:47 PM »
Very perceptive indeed.

The ban on both has caused a public furor. The sale of liquor was reinstated for a month, however this has caused a monumental spike in alcohol related injuries across the board and the hospitals pleaded that the government do something about it, culminating in a second ban on alcohol. Most citizens have resorted to brewing pineapple beer at home.

As for cigarettes - well that's a bit more complicated, as the specific minister who banned the sale of cigarettes based their decision on a petition which turned out to be a complete sham (it was 80 000 to 2 000 wherein the minority was in favour of a ban). Moreover, some investigative journalists also did a bit of sleuthing and it turns out that the CEO of the cigarette company whose cigarettes are the only ones appearing on the black market is indeed that minister's step son.

As for your tips - I plan on making pyjama pants and a bathrobe as my first garments. I have already done alterations on dozens of shirts and pants but it's time now to create garments from scratch. In this regard I am using the patterns contained in "Metric Pattern Cutting For Menswear 5th Edition"

Kind regards!

spookietoo

• Home Sewist - Focusing on Tailoring TN - U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:20 AM »
Oh, goodness! Of course the cigarette ban is a corruption/money issue. That makes so much more sense!

I was having a VERY difficult time coming up with what kind of government could be so forward thinking with my scenario, especially under present conditions.

As I've become more cynical in my old age, I kind of like it when I miss something like that because my brain chose to not drop itself into the nearest gutter. Makes me feel mentally healthy for the moment - always a good thing.

Much luck on the pj's and robe!

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
Spookietoo - :D