Author Topic: Is everyone having PHUN in lockdown ?  (Read 940 times)

Steelmillal

• Human Being
Re: Is everyone having PHUN in lockdown ?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »
Its not sewing, but Steelmillal will recognise this:

G

A bad day foolin around on any boat beats most any good day at work!! I've some beautiful cat boat/shoal draft loft lines if you're looking for a project G :)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
Hi Graham,

My internet is very patchy at the moment due to what seems to be overload with all of the people now working from home. I generally set up hard disks directly behind a front fan to ensure they don't get cooked and they generally last OK if you can control the temperature. About a year ago I lost a 4tb Seagate drive but at least got everything off it first, replaced it with a WD Red NAS drive of the same size and it has been fine ever since.

About 4 years ago I built my current work horse which has an Intel NVME SSD as the boot drive and it plugs into a PCIe slot and it has been an excellent performer for years and with all of the test software available, it has not shown any signs of slowdown or data size reduction so I am very pleased with it. It did cost a fortune 4 years ago though.

I did get one dud with a 1 tb SATA Samsung EVO SSD then it got lost in the mail being returned and eventually turned back up here. I sent it back again and they just refunded the cost. Last addition was a comedy of errors, I bought a Samsung 970 EVO Pro at 500 gig to use as a boot drive for my other box but the chipset was not late enough to use it so I bunged it into my work horse in a spare PCIe x 4 slot and it runs in the exciting range, reads at about 3.5 gig/sec sequential and writes at about 3.2 gig. I shifted around some of the software I use onto it to increase the loading speed and it has been great ever since. I bought a strange heat sink for it which was a good idea as it run hot even with the heat sink.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

tom bennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 11:21:09 PM »
Can I just chime in WD hard drives seem to be the most reliable I have ever used. In my previous life I was a sound engineer and therefore put PCs and Macs thought their paces. All the hard drives I've ever used Western Digital seem to know what they're doing, not tried their NVME drives yet but I would assume that they would be highly reliable.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
Tom.
Instagram: @thombennett_bespoke

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 12:36:57 AM »
I have come to the same conclusion Tom.  Although I have not had the opportunity to try any more expensive ones.

Greger

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
You guys actually think this virus is so bad? Perhaps it is the media being terrorists. After all, it was around when the media tried to get Trump removed and not a peep from them. They knew about it. Since they didn't win the other way they are now using this to attack Trump. The Democrat package $$$$ because of the virus maybe 1/3 is going for its real purpose. So, even the Democrat party is not really concerned about the virus. After all, actions speak louder than words, for those who are paying attention.
Since this is dangerous to old people and a few others. In the old days (not to long ago) children were kept away from old people. Parents, who go visit their parents, took extra precautions. The non-elderly should get this to become immune to it in case it shows up again when they become old. Today's science is far more advanced than 20 years ago,  not to mention 50 and hundred years ago. Some of the fear I see is far from wisdom, which is foolishness; and no politician or media should be part of it.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 03:23:09 PM »
The virus is very serious. It has nothing to do with Trump. Freezer rooms in New York streets to contain the dead are not a trivial matter.

The virus kills old and young, not just old people.

Trump should have taken this very seriously from the beginning.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »
One of the few things I can say about our Prime Minister is he got off his arse fast enough to do something useful, especially after the bush fire fiasco.

The Chinese seem to have done the best so far, they hit the problem big and they hit it fast, something that many other countries should have done. I pick up from the international news that they are getting some new infections in Wuhan but the numbers are very low.

The blame game is just another circus, I have seen reports that the virus originated in China, the US, Iran etc etc .... yet no-one knows with any certainty but this much we have good reason to believe is countries that have lousy expensive health care are doing badly as they don't have the infrastructure to address a problem of this magnitude.

This may be technologically assisted "natural selection" and it will hit the poorest the hardest around the world. It will probably put an end to social theory of people living in each other's hip pocket.

Recently I watch a documentary on the origin of the Black Death that ravaged Europe in the 13th century and it was a genuine horror story. Brought with mongols and tartars from around Mongolia, it was introduced into Europe via the Ukraine when the Tartars sieged one of the cities there. As their soldier were dying of the plague, they used catapults to throw the dead bodies over the walls and into the city. Those that were not wiped out fled and spread the plague into Europe.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
Trump got blamed for being a racist when he blocked flights from certain parts of China. He did that when the Democrats (and press) where busy impeaching him. Doesn't matter what Trump does, he's going to get smeared.
As far as the danger this virus is way over hyped. Some mathematicians point out errors of percentages of people dieing, getting it, etc. Read an article that, in the US, anybody dieing from the flue or heart disease, if they even barely had the virus, be put in the count for the virus in stead of what they died from. The count of deaths in the US from the virus could be less than half. (Why were those orders given to count those people?) There is a huge amount of foolishness going on.

tom bennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 06:04:20 AM »
So how is everyone? Safe and sound. I've striped out my workshop ready and waiting to be re-plastered as soon as my friend is allowed over to do the work. Then I can paint it and put in some LED lighting panels. The weather in the UK (Bristol) has been glorious for this time of year so have done a little gardening though the nurseries have been closed so can't currently buy ant plants.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
Safe and sound Tom, basically finished renovating a little sailing boat, repaired some broken glass panels and I've done some translating too. No time for tailoring until the house is ready for winter.

We have had a light lockdown compared to many places and just completed 14 days with no new cases in South Australia.

Drank a bit of nice wine.

G

tom bennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 09:44:11 PM »
Hey Graeme, sounds like you've been getting those jobs done that keep getting put on the back burner.

From what I have heard the Southern Hemisphere has gotten away lightly compared to us northerners. I think a big factor in this is the amount of vitamin D and of course there is more sun in the south. There are quite a few studies being published at the moment about this due to the unusually high deaths within the BAME populations in both Europe and the northern states of the US.

Good to hear you're getting it light, although there is more and more anecdotal evidence that this thing has been in the community for a lot longer than initially thought and months before anyone "locked down". I am convinced I myself had it in late January early Feb, but, I changed to a Keto lifestyle at the beginning of Jan and put it down to the "Keto flu" which makes you feel rubbish. Of course will never know unless we all get tested.

Anyway glad you're well in SA.

All the best.

Greger

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »
Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Age
Age Group      Percent of Cases   Percent of Deaths
  0-19            4%                          0%
20-39         30%                        1%
40-59         34%                        9%
60-79         22%                      38%
80+              9%                      52%
Unknown          0%                       0%
Total   - confirmed cases 16,674  and deaths 921
These are the latest numbers in Washington State in the USA
People are getting tired of sitting around. Small business's are shut down while large business's are open. Have large business's bribed the politicians?