Greger

• Experienced Professional
Burton
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »

Dunc

• Human Being
Re: Burton
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
How times have changed! Nowadays, Burton's is the sort of place that will sell you something called a "3 Piece Skinny Fit Stretch Suit" for under GBP100. ???

Somehow I doubt there's much craftsmanship or handwork involved in that...

Hendrick

• Human Being
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »
Plus... take off the cost of transport from China, the hanger, hangtag, hanger and polybag... That’s not to mention the 400 percent margin.... Then imagine the difference in labour conditions, done.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »
Interesting old footage of a bygone era. The range of fabrics are even more extreme, most coming out of China as well. As most are different to traditional fabrics, the names only vaguely represent what the name used to mean. You generally need to have a good look through the samples or rolls if they are available to check their appearance and characteristics. You only get to know a fabric well by making things with it as you can test how well a garment works through its use over time. Roughly a "Brave New World".
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

pfaff260

• Human Being
    • http://menfash.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tailoring-Advice-for-Men-Suits-6.jpg
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
@ Greger. Thank you for finding this!

Henry Hall

• Research
  • A very small jeff
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 04:33:22 AM »
Around 2010 Burton's (now part of some 'group' or other) engaged in some marketing to bring out a 'heritage' line which used inspiration from the clothing in its archive. A snippet was on the documentary British Style Genius.

It seemed to absolutely vanish within a year. They are now (and have been for a while) just a variation of Topman and Zara. H&M is even better than Burton's, which is a travesty really.

Speedy, accurate cutters in that 1970s Burton's though, right?
‘Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.’ - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Hendrick

• Human Being
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
Thank you all, for reminding me why I came to this forum in the first place...

Hendrick

Greger

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »
Someone posted it on another site. Thought it was interesting and educational. With the incredible machines today it is kinda nice to see that it wasn't always so. There was more human involvement. More human thinking. Step back further in history there wasn't even fuse, so, more human involvement. Today's machines are a huge advancement. But, bench made still offers more, maybe for all clothes.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »
I actually own a Burton fleecy lined jacket and while it has been around for years, it is still made in China.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Hendrick

• Human Being
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:45 AM »
I actually own a Burton fleecy lined jacket and while it has been around for years, it is still made in China.

I suppose that, with their in house knowledge then, relocating production to China was easier in the beginning than it is now….