Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 53784 times)

Uneeek1

• Human Being
Long time artist/sewing enthusiast learning to draft custom patterns
« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2020, 05:32:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is CJ McMillin.  I am a 57 year old American "artist at heart".  Throughout my life I have been so fascinated with all the different art forms that every time I passed a new form of art I had to stop and learn how to do it.  Luckily, my life has allowed me that luxury.  When I was 18 years old, as an exchange student in Stockholm, Sweden, I came across a sewing machine and some scraps of left-over fabric and started teaching myself to sew.  When I was a child my mother worked in women's ready to wear clothing.  She dressed me well and taught me to take good care of my clothes.  Brushing up against the clothing industry that little bit through her left me quite disparaged about the fact that women had so many beautiful clothes to choose from and men sadly had very few choices when it came to beautiful things to wear.  When a man wanted to dress up it seemed it was always the same suit in one of three colors.  Learning to sew fixed that for me.  Throughout my years of sewing I have had the most fun pushing the envelope and making items from fabrics no one else would think to make them from.  Recently, I have begun reading old tailoring books from the 1800's and using these instructions to draft and style my own patterns which has given me much pleasure.  I think I have just about as much fun drawing out the patterns as I do sewing up the garments.  I have learned so much from these books, but they also leave me guessing about a lot of things so I'm hoping to learn a lot and make some great friends in this forum.  I will stop here and promise to make every attempt to keep my long-windedness in check during future posts.

Cafe Impecunious

• Human Being
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2020, 07:07:37 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse

Elizabeth

• Human Being
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2020, 07:40:45 AM »
Hello everyone, I am patternmaker, who is looking forward to learn a lot, and also give knowledge that I have about cutting and tailoring. At the moment I am working in a small Made to measure for mens suits company.
In my free time I like to explore more about the work I do, that is why I am really glad that I have found this forum.

Elyelle

« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2021, 02:33:25 AM »
Hello,
  I was a frequent reader on the old forum, but I can't remember contributing much. I'm afraid that may be the case here too.
 I've been hobby sewing since childhood and got training in bespoke tailoring, in Europe in the 90's. Life took me to the US, and I let go of the path I had planned for my continuing education and career. I started working with alterations tailoring, found that I enjoy it, and I'm still in that field. I make garments on occasion in my home shop, for fun, and look forward to reading the discussions in this forum - maybe even commenting on occasion.

TTailor

• Venerable Member
  • There is no formula!
    • A Tailor Made It
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2021, 03:50:22 AM »
welcome!

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2021, 09:35:37 AM »
Hi Elyelle,

You are more than welcome, we have many folks here who add what they can so that other member can use it. This forum is a lot more layback that the old C&T and nobody gets hassled here.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

abruck

• Human Being
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Alec. I just enrolled in the Savile Row Academy and am hoping to gain as much knowledge of the craft of tailoring as I can. I've always loved men's fashion, specifically suits and other formal wear. Excited to learn from everyone here!
To be truly elegant one should not be noticed.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »
Welcome :)

G

Victoria Quinn

• Horses for Courses.
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
Good Morning.  I'm Victoria, and joined the forum to broaden the scope of my knowledge. 
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:26 PM »
Welcome Victoria.

:)

G

Gerry

• Almost human being
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2021, 03:51:05 AM »
Hi, I discovered this place recently and it looks like a great place to learn and exchange ideas.

DOG SALT

• Human Being
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been using this forum for a while, but decided to make an account so I could interact here.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
Hi Gerry, SALT, welcome on board, a lot of talented people here so you should find some decent technical data and be able to contribute your own expertise.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D