Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 50171 times)

Hendrick

• Human Being
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
I was going to bite my tongue on this one but having some grasp of the problem, I could not resist a comment. While some may look at the behind of others for pleasure, usually such targets well know how to "package" such attributes as to present that end of them in the most favourable light but for the skilled tailor, persons who have less than what they may perceive as a well presented behind are potential customers who with enough skill can be made to look a lot better with the right garment design.

Translate that into ordinary language, a skilled tailor can make a pair of pants for someone with a saggy bum look one hell of a lot better.

Now recently I saw an article reviewing a new design of jeans that were supposed to do exactly that. A high stretch denim cut on the old "lift and separate" theory of brassiere design but the fit was so tight they looked like they had been sprayed on. The targets looked late 20s to early 30s and while the design did lift their behind, they were so tight that they mis-shaped the legs which were less than flattering to the wearer. They were also being sold at some outrageous price for something that was most probably spat out some slave labour facility in south east Asia.

Took a full day "on the town" with a friend yesterday. Nice long strolls and plenty shopping. In regards to these "jeggings", "powerstretch" items, "uplifting superkinnies" etc I more then agree with you. Apart from supermodels I would advice anyone to stay away from these. They arew so blatantly unbecoming that in many cases I feel embarrassed and uneasy just walking behind someone wearing these. There is , indeed, nothing left to the imagination. Worse, in most cases you are looking at much more than what you would like to imagine.To make things worse; they now come in colours like lime yellow, peach pink and turquoise. So Hutch, "less than flattering" is a near eufemism…

Cheers, Hendrick

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »
I would rather not be 'displayed' to - ever.

Zanzare

• Human Being
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I started my career back then with an apprenticeship in bespoke tailoring and over time I ended up as a head tailor and cutter for the stage. I’ve been making, constructing, drafting and draping now for almost twenty years for a wide range of artists as well as a vast variety of designs from classic tailoring to costumes reflecting animals, objects or plants for the male and the female body.

Nowadays I mainly work for opera productions making men’s costume for singers and dancers as well as trouser roles (for the lovely ladies dressed as men on stage). As no body is the same I spent a lot of time analysing posture and weight distribution as well as trying to solve problems of free range of movement, using a wide (and not always suitable) range of materials and trying to balance the artists needs, the designers wishes and the reality of “perfect’” fit vs body shape and production time.

I am sure here are people that can relate....

TTailor

• Venerable Member
  • There is no formula!
    • A Tailor Made It
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2019, 01:02:51 AM »
Zanzare, where are you located?
And yes, I can certainly relate!

Zanzare

• Human Being
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:39 AM »
Zanzare, where are you located?
And yes, I can certainly relate!

Yes, I thought so. Currently I am based in the uk, in the past I have been working in other European countries.

andrzej61

• Human Being
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2019, 04:15:14 AM »
 :) Hello. I am a new member here.
    I have a problem. Could someone explain me what is "T-Shirt with Wrap Step Hem". I am not an English nor American. Also many Englishmen don't know what is it.
So please, please, explain me this phrase.   :)

theresa in tucson

• Human Being
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2019, 05:10:22 AM »
Andre, you have posted in the "Introduce Yourself" page.  Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about your skills and experience.  Then go explore the site and find a section that might be close to the question you are asking.  You have not given enough context information for someone to answer your question.

Theresa in Tucson

andrzej61

• Human Being
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »
Hello.
  I do not have any experience in fashion. A question is of linguistic nature. Context - just I have a text and this "t-shirt" in it. And I don't know what it is. I thought that some experts here should know what it is. Strangely, when I tried on linguistic forum, Ehglishmen could not help me. They don't know.  :'(

theresa in tucson

• Human Being
« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2019, 02:00:34 AM »
Andre, if you only have the text and no picture then I suspect you have a bad translation.  Most clothing sold in North America and Europe (T-shirts in particular) is sewn in Asia.  If the person writing the copy is using something like Google translator or does not have good command of idiomatic English or even clothing/seam/hem descriptions the result can often be different than what a fluent English speaker would use.  If you do have a picture, if you can, post it and ask what kind of hem is on the T-shirt.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
Look up "T-Shirt with Wrap Step Hem" on Google, there are plenty of results there.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Petruchio

• Human Being
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to this forum after encountering problems with the old cutter and tailor forum, where I had an old - never used -account. I just started out trying to make shirts for myself and was kindy adviced to register here as well. I'm really grateful for the possibilty to learn from people far more knowledgable than I am and looking forward to all the input I can get. Since I'm rather new to sewing I figure I will be a rather bothersome poster of silly beginner questions but I nevertheless hope to contribute in a more fruitful manner as well.

Thomas

theresa in tucson

• Human Being
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Thomas.  If you are interested in shirtmaking there is a wealth of information on various blogs as well.  Check out Peter Lappin on the "Male Pattern Boldness" blog.  He has links to other "men who sew" as well.

Sinusvag

• Human Being
Sinusvag here
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2019, 08:39:00 AM »
Some words about myself: Not in the trade, working a white-collar job. Interested in technical systems in general and their marriage to craft. Swedish male. Awed by people sharing their knowledge. Sinusvag means "sinewave" in Swedish (really, it is spelled sinusvåg).

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:57 PM »
Great to see you here sinusvåg.

supercilious

• Human Being
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Michael-- I study computer science and textile/fashion Design at the University of Wisconsin Madison
I am very happy to join this forum, and it seems to be one of the few where a good community is still alive and well.
I have been making women's clothing now for about 6 years (self taught but with several textbooks and intensive study) It has always been my goal to be a technician, and I hope to gain some insights into real tailoring here (i.e. how to properly do canvassing, a proper structured shoulder etc.) I will make sure to post my own work regularly, and see you guys in the boards.