Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 31048 times)

Greger

• Experienced Professional
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
Goats are fun. Miss them from my childhood. Goats milk is great.

sewformichele

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2017, 12:58:47 AM »
Hello everyone!
I am a home sewer that has been sewing for about 50 years.  Recently I have been working with the local opera company helping to sew costumes and also with a local designer who does Mardi Gras costuming. These types of costumes are all period correct and high end. In the past I mostly sewed for myself and my daughters but find I now need to improve my tailoring skills as I am now making men's suitings.  I took a women's tailoring course several years back and learned some tidbits but would like to continue to improve my skills.

mtaylornmi@gmail.com

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 04:02:27 AM »
I have visited the site occasionally as a visitor.  I am a home garment sewer with a particular interest in practical, well fitting clothing for myself.  I have learned so much from this site that I decided to register. 

vivok

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »
Hi, I am Vivian from south Louisiana.  I have been sewing for 50 years, mostly self taught.  When I wanted to make my first dress, at age 11, my mom got me a McCall's pattern, showed me how to read the pattern and the directions, and said: "Have fun, all the directions are there.  I am going shopping and you can ask me questions when I get back."  I made a striped sheath and put the zipper in. I can't remember if I matched the stripes, but probably not. At age 14 I made my first lined suit, jacket and skirt. My aunt who was a professional seamstress didn't believe I made it. Anyway, I am a home sewist, and constantly wanting to upgrade my skills. This is why I joined, as there are very few sewing shops here, let alone someone to  get correct information from or ask questions of. Thank you for this site.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2017, 01:25:40 AM »
Wow, what great stories. I was 11 when I asked my mother to make a uniform for a wooden soldier I had carved.  She gave me a needle and thread.

G

LeiaOrgana2187

• Human Being
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2017, 03:17:25 AM »
Hi. I was Talon247 in the other site. Just came here from a tip someone referred me to. Much interested in military uniforms patterns and costuming in general, but more fascinated on historical costume and cinematic costuming.

Kept coming here as a guest, and seeing that this is more liberal compared to the other site (quite taboo to talk about WW2 German uniforms there), I decided to make an account here, hoping it would be a big help.

Nicole Nygaard

• Sustainable Atelier & Sourcing
    • Nicole Nygaard
Aspiring tailor
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
Hi,

Lovely to be here!

I am an aspiring tailor from Norway who firmly believes in sourcing sustainable and ethically made materials from local manufacturers. I am a member of "Fremtiden I Vre Hender" (the organization behind the documentary Sweat Shop) and support PETA. I used to work in our governments children protection services before going into the field of textile art, which then led to tailoring.. (Yes, I know I have a mixed background ;) )

My ideal-tailors are Brita Hirsch and I applaud her The Great Northern Cloth project, I also dig Indnat Trousers, because both tailors combine sustainability and tailoring. If you have the same passion as them, please let me know.

I am grateful for help from this forum and hope I can contribute with discussions concerning ethics and mindfully sourcing. Thank you so much!

Nicole

www.nicolenygaard.no

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2017, 10:00:14 PM »
Apart from the ethical tasks you have in mind, that is a very nice outfit in the photo.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
They are very good aspirations. 

Good for you.

Beautiful Suit, did you make that?

Graham

PoHappiness

• Human Being
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2017, 02:27:31 AM »
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is David and over the past couple of years I've been trying to start up my MTM suits business in Toronto.
It will be coming online in the beginning of 2018.

This forum and the old Tailor and Cutter has been an essential wealth of information. I would like to thank everyone for all the information they have so kindly shared.

ducapen

• Human Being
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Hi

I live in India and have made almost all of my own clothes for the last 40 years. I learnt from my mom and books, and for the past few years from the 'net.

My body has changed shape  over the years, and I find I need better techniques to achieve a good fit. I also want to be more adventurous with design, to which end I purchased a full body dressform yesterday (well, she doesn't have arms..)

Thanks for having me.

moreira323

• Human Being
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2018, 03:16:25 AM »
Hi, thanks for accepting me in the group. my name is Hugo, I'm from portugal, I hope to find in this group knowledge for my progression in the art of tailoring, I have little experience but a lot of desire to learn. Best regards

Jabez

• Human Being
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:22 AM »
My name is Jabez Im a third generation upholsterer. While I was thought how to sew early on I rarely ever did as my mother was better at it and more importantly in business- faster(my father as well). After I was given a sewing machine that functioned I easily tackled simple jobs and around the house to-dos.
Being thin, broad shouldered, tall(62), long armed(fingertip to fingertip 64), luckily Im not visually too ackward(just clumsy); so it goes without saying nothing off the rack fits me ideally. If the wast fits the pant legs are to short; if a buttoned shirt has proper length sleeves, it only comes in sizes that drowned me... on and on.
Naturally altering my clothes came to mind quickly after receiving my machine. Id only done a bit of preliminary reading when I realized I didnt know enough to get the results I wanted. Steadily working on increasing my skill (and sewing accesseries) with projects slowly advancing in difficulty. Im joining the cutter and tailor foram preemptively as Im sure to run aground sooner or later. I gather that this site has the unofficial gold seal of approval and since I want professional results it seems natural to seek advice from professionals. I look forward to filling in my knowledge gaps both painfully large and small.

Perfectho

• Human Being
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Hezekiah and I'm from Nigeria. Joining this forum i believe will have a positive impact in my sewing career, i actually want to be exposed and learn tailoring skills that could help me to stand out. I hope this forum will give me my heart desire.

sans-seraph

• Human Being
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2018, 06:48:47 AM »
Howdy!  I've been reading this forum and the Cutter & Tailor forum for about a year and slowly teaching myself the basics.  In addition to eventually making the kind of high-end menswear I can't necessarily afford to buy, I'm also interested in historical costuming and armoring.