Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 38028 times)

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
Hi Supercilious, welcome :)

mysewingpleasure

• Human Being
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Greeting to everyone, My name is Edna, I used to make ladies clothing, lately. I am interested in men's wear, both pattern drafting and constructing. I found cutterandtailor.com about a year ago, there I can find a lot of informative knowledge which encourages me to go further. However I cannot sign up to become a member. Just a few days ago I found that I can come to this website and sign in successfully. Now I have a question, what is the difference between the two, should I both go there and come here to get connected? I am a little confused, please pardon me for saying that, I appreciate very much if you can help me.
A sewing mom

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2019, 06:55:58 PM »
Hi mysewingpleasure,

I wrote this about a week ago on the other forum in responce to someone asking almost the same question:

"We don't know what the intentions of Sator happen to be. Many people apparantly wish to join and cannot, but as far as I know, no-one has had any contact with Sator for a couple of years.

The site still exists as a brilliant repository of information, but there is very little activity on it.

This is why the other site, http://movsd.com/Bes...utter/index.php was started.  It is certainly not intended as a rival to this one, but a chance for continued interaction."

You are welcome to get involved in this site too. :)

G

Paola

• Human Being
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2019, 03:54:21 AM »
Hi! I love tailoring and traditional techniques. So I think this forum might be a wonderful place to interact. I am an apprentice (not at very beggining but stil learning). Thank you for the forum, for the opportunity to change experiences.

Blackthorn

• Human Being
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Hello, I'm John. I took an interest in Tailoring a couple years back spawned from an interest in making bow ties. For some reason I became intererested in making a coat... I had no idea what I was in for at that point. I've since collected many books on the subject and have been lurking on the old forums with the defunct registration page. (I really hope someone with more than public access is actively cataloging that in case the site goes down with all the lovely images and neat drafts over there).
I'm looking forward to learning alot here.
I think manipulation by pressing and stretching is absolutely fascenating
Maybe one day I'll even learn to how to properly shape a canvas lol (we can all dream)
Cheers,
John

pollymmmm

• Human Being
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
Hello,

I am a textile designer with an increasing interest in tailoring. I've made some tailored projects in the past but in recent years I've been very focussed on knitwear design. I'm very much driven by materials, particularly wool. I'm an advocate for slow quality garments and have little interest in fashion per se. I'm hoping to begin a serious course of self-education in proper tailoring technique.

tailorsham1

• Human Being
    • SewpBox Productions, Inc.
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2019, 07:35:06 PM »
Good day, all. My name is Russell Conte. An avid sewist for more than 30 years at this point, I owned a retail sewing shop for nearly 20 years. Early in my leap onto this entrepreneurial band wagon, people kept asking me to teach. Right next to the very last thing I ever thought I would want to do was teach. But people kept gnawing at me about it - I still have the teeth marks...

I acquiesced, and found out how much I really enjoyed teaching. A couple of years ago I sold my business when the opportunity to pursue my passion for teaching full time arose. January 2018, I accepted a position at Los Angeles Trade Technical College in the Fashion Department where I teach men's tailoring and pattern drafting, and soon, shoemaking.

For me, the act of taking a yard or two (or 10) of cloth and cajoling it into a garment, a quilt, a bag, a shoe is as close to alchemy as you can get. And teaching folks how to master it themselves - to be a part of someone’s exploration of their own creative genius? Other than hearth, home and family - nothing gives me greater joy.

And though my students now refer to me as "professor", I will always find myself to be the consummate student. I love learning, and finding ways to reinvent myself and my craft.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
Welcome Tailorsham1, great to hear your story. I hope we hear more from you. please don't hesitate to jump in to any posts.

G

eyeballkid

• Human Being
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »
Hi!  I'm a newbie and very much apprentice 'tailor' (I hesitate to use the word outside of quotes as I really don't feel I've earned that right!!).  I've made myself a couple of casual shirts and have just been on a basic dress making course (try finding a tailoring course!) and I'm keen to try some new things.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning new skills!

Saber

• Human Being
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
Hi, I'm Saber and I'm just a young tailoring apprentice. I'm on my way as the only successor of my Grand parents sartorial life, since none of the people in my family want to be in this way of life and profession anymore. The only things of what's left for me was only the old tailoring books and the old suits, even the shears are gone too when they're gone before giving me their knowledge and the sewing machine also gone cause it was sold by my uncle. Now I'm a totally all hand sewn kind of guy and got lucky enough to find and learn with one of a senior tailor in my country, the point is...  I'm still young and green and still in need to learn more.

JamesWilliams

• Human Being
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:30 AM »
Hi All,

I've been tailoring professionally for the past 12 years or so, mostly focusing on the historical side of things, preserving the older methods as best I can, though I've been sewing most of my life. Was a member on the old Tailor and Cutter forum for years but somehow just came across this forum. Looking forward to sharing and learning with everyone.

James

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
Welcome James,

We have tried to stock this forum with many of the older material from the Cutter and Tailor.

It is a bit more open too, coat topics are not forbidden to the beginners.

G