Author Topic: Been looking for larger shears  (Read 407 times)

Victoria Quinn

• Horses for Courses.
Re: Been looking for larger shears
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 05:19:19 AM »
Victoria,

That pair of Wiss shears (the 14 inch pair) are a good buy at the price and they look like they have plenty of blade on them so they should last until any great grand kids you may have if they are looked after. I use the same sized pair for my own cutting.

I was able to get them to come down on the price on the Equity 14" shears, so I picked them up.  Fingers crossed they'll be at least as good as they appear.  It would have been really cool if they were badged Wiss, but the bolt didn't look too gnarled, so that's a plus.  I don't know too much about evaluating blades, but I do know to stay away from anything that has bolts that look like someone used a pipe wrench to adjust them.
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:53 AM »
Something I have found with a variety of old shears is that in the 1920s and 1930s Wiss did job lots for other companies in the US and the only difference was the brand on the shear bolt. The pair you have may in fact be made by Wiss.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Steelmillal

• Human Being
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »
You are correct, Sir. Equity was a Wiss lower end brand made in their same New Jersey facilities. Same forging dies. That heir told me in email threads I need to try to find again.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:57 AM »
Here is a pair of Keencutter shears that are identical to a Wiss pair I own. I don't think anyone knew what they were and they turned up for peanuts in really good condition, I scrubbed them up and they came out like new.

The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Victoria Quinn

• Horses for Courses.
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 06:14:22 AM »
Simply stunning.  I love it.  Mine should be here Tuesday (fingers crossed).  I should find out if I get the Ridgley paperhangers (advertised as leather shears) up for auction tonight.  With any luck, that should be the last of the really big stuff.  Then I can start upgrading my smaller cutting tools with some nicer pieces.

Victoria Quinn

• Horses for Courses.
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Well I got my shears today, other than a gouge in the thumb rest, the shears seem in decent shape.  A little wriggle in the blade (maybe 1/64"), but nothing you can't course correct with a little finger tension.  It's just enough to waiver between folding fabric and mashing the blades together.  I'm sure they'll tighten up with a bit of TLC.  I have a nice full range of motion without adjusting my grip to get them opened up fully.  The blades seem fairly sharp, and I'm happy with them. 

The only real gripe I "could" have is that they're 13 1/2" rather than 14".   ::)  but what's a half inch when you're stepping up from 8".  They feel as nimble as a sports car.  I have a feeling they're going to carve up some corners going round the patterns once I get them a tune-up.  Side note; after seeing several of these shears, I am starting to wonder how on earth people are taking chunks out of these handles...  "Blade guy... you sharpen the other end."   :D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:10:17 PM by Victoria Quinn »

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 11:55:24 PM »
Beauty,

They look proper.  And, 13 1/2 vs 14 inch, no worries.

The blade wiggle might need a touch up by an old time expert when you find one.

G

Steelmillal

• Human Being
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 03:21:14 AM »
RUBBISH! Absolute rubbish!! You were swindled by a first rate Yankee carpet-bagger.. Take 'em off your hands for 20$...and I'm being generous...

...the knurl is quite nice still...that's good for showing not never being reefed on...I can almost hear the collector disease mumble "more, must have more" ...20$!! final offer...