Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 32213 times)

Mr.gustavsson

• Human Bieng
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm a Swedish guy currently living in Barcelona, Spain. I am not sure yet where my ambitions lie concerning joining this forum. I recently acquired Cabrera's book that comes recommended. But haven't yet decided whether to dip my feet in the water. It might just end/continue as a deeper appreciation of the craftsmanship that goes in to making bespoke garments. Happy to be here!

Cheers,
Anders

gijsbertus2000

• Human Being
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2018, 04:09:24 AM »
A good day to everyone on this forum. I am Gijsbertus, from the Netherlands. Trying to master the great but difficult art of bespoke tailoring (just as a passionate amateur) soon I discovered how difficult it is to find people who can teach you a little bit. So I turned to the internet hoping to find instructions and help there. But, although there is a lot to be found on the internet that is relevant, I could find nothing that is integral, complete or or coherent. Until I ran into the 'Cutter and Tailor' forum, that is. A vast resource, and it seemed to offer everything I had been looking. However, to my despair it turned out that the 'Cutter and Tailor' is defunct now, one cannot register anymore nor become a member of the forum. So I had to leave it behind and once again continue my search. It took quite some time but finally I discovered this forum, the 'Bespoke Cutter and Tailor', which seems to be some kind of continuation of the old 'Cutter and Tailor'. I am so very happy to have found it! Now I cannot wait to begin my online apprenticeship. Much looking forward to it.

JPaulV

• Human Being
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »
Hello & Good morning from Texas. My name is Paul Villforth and I have been making clothing and corsets since 1993. I originally started sewing in the 1970s to restore the interior of an antique automobile using the techniques that were common in the early 1900s. From automotive, I progressed to making my own flat patterns for clothing. An early clothing interest was swimwear. During 1993 to 1995, I took some courses at Houston Community College in Fashion Design, commuting 185 miles per day. Through the courses I took, I was able to become adept at flat pattern design and draping. I started making corsets in 1994 and developed a line that I eventually took with me to China when I moved there in 2009. While in China, I taught English and Automotive Engineering classes in Nanjing and Dalian. I returned to the US in January 2016 and I am in the process of rebuilding my business. Since I have lost much weight, I became interested in making my own dress shirts and dress slacks. I have always had an interest in Western clothing and I am presently working on a suit pattern in the Western style.
I tried to join thecutterandtailor forum at the suggestion of David Coffin, but there is a problem with the site verification and it is impossible to complete the registration. David then suggested I join this forum. I am attempting to perfect my shirt design and construction skills using a course put together by Mike Maldonado from San Antonio, Texas.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »
Cool JPaulV,

Nice to have you with us.  This forum arose at a time when the C and T was beginning to become unstable.  We were very worried about the loss of so much valuable information and experience.  It's not as slick as the other site, but its very usable and feel free to go your hardest. :)

G

Locke

• Student
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »
Good day everyone,

I've ended up here after unsuccessfully trying to register on The Cutter and Tailor - seems to be a recurring theme. I'm a 3rd year fashion design student in New Zealand, but I'm lucky enough to have recently worked as an intern at Richard James in London, and I'm currently completing an exchange semester in Milan. I'm greatly interested in tailoring and bespoke, and constantly complain that there aren't enough resources to be found online... But I have a feeling this may be what I'm looking for. In the future I'd like either to complete an apprenticeship, or go on to pursue a master's or doctorate.

In the meantime, I'll be here practicing my hand stitches and drinking a tad too much Italian wine.

Lovely to be here and excited to join the community.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • A very small jeff
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2018, 12:22:51 AM »
Keep posting!

Guilda

• Human Being
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2018, 02:24:34 AM »
Hi I'm Guilda,

I have had a passion for the art of sewing since childhood, and with the aid of a great many good books I finally entered the craft as an adult. It didn't take long to realize that I longed for the crisp details that elevate the home sewer toward the road of tailoring from home.  Besides, I love the Audrey Hepburn look!

Guilda

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2018, 04:32:48 AM »
You will do fine, there is no reason why a dedicated home sewer cannot produce professional quality garments, as long as you have the basic machines and learn how to use them, the rest is practice.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D