Author Topic: I saw a huge iron today  (Read 288 times)

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
Re: I saw a huge iron today
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 03:36:43 AM »
I have something like this. It's not a thermostat, but it has a light on it and an on/off microswitch.

For some reason which eludes me, standard sockets in Europe (and in many other places) have no switches. They're standard on about 85% of British sockets. Not to mention the plug design is far safer and holds more securely in the socket. 2-pin plugs are bloody useless, shoddy things.

lepus

• Human Being
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 06:37:29 AM »
He told me that the newer one (bottom) had hardly been used.  I don't believe it had a thermostat, when you look into the hole there is no corresponding one in the chassis.

For comparison, here's the iron with temperature dial.

It is a Grossag (of course), only a bit newer. This one is 1000 Watt, 5.5 kg. The axis of the dial goes right through the cover of the iron, so if yours doesn't have a hole there, it hasn't been provided with a thermostat. I assume yours is a Grossag as well, so the factory, when they still produced tailoring irons, seems to have used the same mould for casting the handle assembly.

I don't use the iron much, I'm not really into weight lifting. I generally prefer the lighter and more efficient steam iron. When extra pressure is needed you just add part of your body weight.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
Mine's also a grossag (with thermostat) 6kg. I also had one identical to yours, but I wanted a heavier one so sold it, but now I regret it. The smaller irons are easier to use. The heavy one is excellent though for flattening bulk.