Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 9636 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
 :)
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

ScarletSwordfish

• Human Being
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
Hi, I'm Swordfish. I just registered at the C&T forum, but was invited to come here as well. I'm just a beginner at sewing, but I'd like to be able to make jackets eventually, at least for myself.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
Hi and welcome on board. We have a lot of good stuff here which you should be able to read around but just be warned that jackets are a difficult task and you will need to learn a lot before you take on a task of that complexity. Feel free to ask questions as we have many experienced people here who can help you on the way.

crazy1503

• Human Being
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
Hi everyone, Im Alison! Im based in Perth, Australia. I have just signed up to the old forum and Im working my way through all the fabulous texts uploaded there!
Ive sewed since I was a child, inspired by my mother sitting in front of her Husqvarna, swearing at a mangled mess of chewed up thread and material. I used to ask her to sew something for me, and then quickly decide that Id just try hand sewing it myself instead...
In the last few years Ive been sewing my own label of custom made kids clothes, but now that I have just managed to get my own commercial workshop Ill be starting on a line of womens suits - beginning with customised vintage patterns and working my way up to full tailored suits once I have had enough practise and skills!

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Hi Alison,

Good to see you here, we need a few more Aussies, I am from Sydney. Sounds like you have an interesting operation that is expanding  into the fun stuff.

Sastre Ray

• In Tailoring everything hangs(in the balance)
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
Im a working tailor and have been for most of my life...I make my living in the alteration and repair end of the trade...and have always practiced suit and coat making for personal wear....have not made a suit for another person since the early 80s....not a great Bespoke market in Kentucky USA

Sastre Ray 😎

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
Hi Sastre Ray,

Welcome on board, alterations are an important skill that requires an experienced tailor to do them properly, especially if it was an expensive garment to start with.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:20 PM »
I see a little ticket pocket on that coat and a waistcoat with lapels! Very smart.

Sastre Ray

• In Tailoring everything hangs(in the balance)
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »
thanks Hutch...nice to be here..great info to be found...

thanks Henry Hall....I like to add ticket pockets to many of my coats...especially when there is nothing special about the fabric....same true for the lapels I added to the waist coat ....also my sleeve buttons almost always are functioning.....sometimes since they are for personal use I will make a suit from a blend such as this one..because I needed this green for an occasion ....my pattern drafts are old school Michelle system based...I plan on exploring others though
Sastre Ray 😎

Vilhan

• Human Being
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:06 PM »
Hi, I'm Vilhan, currently a designer, but with hopes of successfully transitioning to tailoring. As for now, I only do tailoring at home, for my humble self and a few friends, besides the job that pays the bills. I have a few years of experience in the garment industry, but never really had the time to accumulate enough know-how to make everything from patterns to finishing. But that's slowly changing, and tailoring would be the ultimate goal.

I've been casually visiting the old forum, but I'm very happy to see people eager to transition here with all their expertise and openness to share.

I'm really glad to see that there is a community like this. Hopefully, I will make my own contribution in time.
A sufficiently sophisticated statement is indistinguishable from satire.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »
Hi Vilhan,

Welcome on board. The acquisition of skills up to a level that you are happy with is a worthwhile venture and I hope it leads to where you want.

Sinned

• Human Being
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 06:25:19 AM »
45 years experience in the trade. Trained the hard way so have fairly thorough broad knowlege. Spend my time running our small retail family business but if required can make a suit from start to finish from drafting to pressing. Mostly now use supplier with advanced computer cut measured system for commercially priced bespoke. What we love is not always what we can make a living from, so I have no illusions about purist tailoring but like the skills and talk. Don't always have time to contribute to forums. Interested in old tools and books,  new technology, and pattern cutting mysteries. The survival of disappearing trades may well depend on forums like this, so best wishes to all contributors.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
Hi Sinned,

Good to hear from a real pro.

Learner

• Human Being
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
Hello.

I'm a fifty year old man from the UK who likes decent clothes.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
Hello Learner. You're being modest.