Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 10393 times)

Sebastian Hoofs

• Bespoke Tailor
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm a bespoke tailor for menswear from Germany / Cologne and started tailoring and studying pattern making / cutting with 14 years. I have always beeing a big a friend of communication between tailors, home sewers and apprentices because I love the variety of techniques we all can take from and I am very glad that we are here again to build up a new forum.

A big thanks goes to the starters! 

Sebastian

Cactus

• Human Being
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »
Hi all.  I am from Arizona.  I'm a home sewer, but also working on making clothing for my husband who is active in cowboy reenacting / living history - 1870s to 1890s.  My next big project, once I work up the courage, is to make him a sack coat.  I have the fabric.  I also have a book on period tailoring techniques.  And a treadle sewing machine.  I've been sewing all my life (over 60 years), so I know I can do it.  Just break it down into individual steps.  I plan to make a test garment before cutting into the "real stuff".  We bought a piece of fabric that has metallic thread shot thru it that will not pass costume judging, so that will be the test fabric.  We're also fed up with the quality of period style mens' trousers that are available.  I think they use the cheapest thread possible!  Anyhow, I am glad to be here and look forward to learning.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 05:03:20 AM »
Hi Sebastian,

Glad you could find us, seems like Tom's Facebook page did the job. Glad to see another tailor join the forum as your expertise will  be useful in helping other people.

Hi Cactus,

Makes sense to use the metallic thread fabric for your test piece so you don't waste the authentic looking fabric for the final item. I have not seen a Singer treadle machine for years but a friend of mine learnt her trade on one long ago before she migrated to industrials. She was able to get very good quality work done with it and with your experience I imagine you will get the same.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Jeffrey2117

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
Hello All,

I am a newly signed up member to this site.  I have been a Tailor and alterations Tailor for some years now.  I was able to take over ownership of the business from the previous owners upon retirement 30 years ago. 

I myself have been ill quite a bit for the past year, so have not been able to correspond as much as I would like.

I hope to keep up with the friends and associates I have met through this forum.

Kind regards

Jeffrey 2117

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for posting, its good to hear from you. I am sorry to hear you have had health problems and hope you can get back in front again.

Maafaa

• It's all about the fit
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
Hi,
I am a Norwegian folk costume sewer with general interest in traditional tailoring. I was a frequent reader of the old forum, but I never contributed my selves.
Thank you so much for opening this new forum!

PS: Mf or maafaa is a scandinavian expression literally meaning "random" or "might be". I use to say this whenever I must trust my own "qualified guessing" or "rock of eye";-)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »
Hi Maafaa,

Welcome on board. We can do with a few folks who are practiced at "qualified guessing". We have a costumes section to cater for folks with your skills and your experience will be useful to other folks who undertake similar work to your own.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Hi Maafaa, nice to have you. I've been learning Norwegian on Duolingo for a few months, but it's going very slowly because I don't visit often enough.

majka

• Human Being
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
Hello, Majka here.
I was reading the old forum without posting there. Thanks to everybody who is helping to resurrect the lost material.

I am translator/interpreter in her 40's who is sewing for herself and her family from time to time.

I started to sew in a high school, when the RTW stopped to fit me and almost everything I wore was self-made. In the last few years I didn't sew much except for my nieces but the situation is changing - nothing fits or has the quality / style I want so I am back to sewing for myself. This time, I want to go the last part of the way to a better quality of tailoring I missed till now. I am completely self-learned with all the time and problems this brings.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 10:17:48 PM »
Hi majka,

Welcome on board and thanks for the reference links you posted. making your own stuff is always a good choice once you know how to get it going and the pursuit of high quality always come back to you with better made items.

spookietoo

• Home Sewist - Focusing on Tailoring TN - U.S.A.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
Hello All!

Hutch, thank you so much for setting this up. Tailleuse was nice enough to let me know about this new version via PR.

Thank you also for the simple registration. Its 1:30 am here and I was about to turn in. Very little brain power left.

Looking forward to this more relaxed discussion!

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
Hi Spookie,

Good to see you here.  :)

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
Hello Spookietoo, Nice to see you here.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
Yes, better late than never. :)

jeffrey

• Human Being
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Jeffrey and I am a ready to wear designer based in NYC. I am not sure what I can offer to the forum but will do my best to pull my weight.