Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 13345 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Basically the one you have already seen, a lot more relaxed and less "in your face" styles of rules. The quality will be preserved but it will be managed in a far more flexible manner. very pleased to see you here.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

kate

• Human Being
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 06:05:48 AM »
Hi I'm Kate from Leeds, UK. I worked in IT for a bit then studied pattern cutting and garment manufacture, got myself some old industrial sewing machines and several rolls of denim and made women's jeans and jackets - focus is on fit: www.redkitejeans.com. I will get back to it seriously in September as I've got so much else on this year. But I am making a lot of outerwear and trousers (not jeans sadly) for my overweight, stooping husband and I am always very confused as to how to accommodate such corpulence - so I am really really grateful for what you're doing here as I will probably need some help very soon... 

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 06:29:51 AM »
Hi Kate. Nice to have you here. The jeans you make look great. There were many people interested in jeans making on the old forum, so you may yet end up contributing some valuable insights to discussions.

More stuff will be posted about fitting and figuration as time goes on, so I hope this will prove helpful.

Yorkshire is a great place for garment manufacture - a fair number of Tailors based there (Tom Mahon, Des Merrion, Darren Beaman), the home of the original Monty Burton's in Leeds, (my grandmother was a Burton's seamstress), Spencer's Trousers in Halifax, and world class cloth mills.

francescastroqueta

• Newborn Human Being
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
A big thank you to those who have helped me on the last forum and those who have put this forum together! Hopefully you earn many fantastic karma points.  :) Tom, yes, the skirt turned out OK. I will post a photo some time later this month (I am going up to San Francisco on vacation this next week and will be there for the next few weeks thereafter. Yippee!) Thank you so much for remembering--so swell of you!! I always look forward to seeing your posts too! Cheers! :D
Instagram: @francescastroqueta
My pet dog is a reincarnation of Alexander McQueen. I'm in love.

Napoli

• Human Being
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
HI This is Napoli,

Long time member in the other forum.

Where is Nishjin, Sator etc?

Took me some time to find this new place.

Best of luck

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »
Good to see you here. Its taken a lot of work to get this forum up and going but its close enough to working OK.

kate

• Human Being
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 10:32:56 PM »
Thank you very much Henry. The Burton factory building is still there - still in Arcadia ownership and used as a warehouse - worth a visit if you're ever in Leeds. Also, as well as the tailors, there are still some good merchants around - Sidtrim still trades via ebay and you can always pick up gems down at Kirkgate Market.  A fascinating book about the history of the Leeds clothing industry is "Well Suited" by the late Katrina Honeyman.

els

• Human Being
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 03:08:15 AM »
Hello,
My name is Els and I'm a hairdresser from Belgium.I have been sewing ever since my mother taught me how to use a sewing machine.Over the last few years I have been trying to get the best possible finish and fit to my garments and found the old forum a tremendous help.Thank you for trying to keep the knowledge out there!It does seem indeed more relaxed and friendly,so I will be posting about my progress.If I wouldn't have chosen hairdressing I would have loved a career in tailoring.
Thanks for all the help :)

z.smith95

• Human Being
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 05:19:27 AM »
I'm Zack, I'm 20 and I have just begun my tailoring adventures. I have spent several months just working on hand sewing and collecting all the equipment I need, as well as doing alterations on much of my clothing. I hope to begin my first trouser project sometime this summer and see where things go from there. I was a member at Cutter and Tailor, but never posted, opting to just soak up information until I was to the point where I would need specific help. I'm very relieved this site has popped up and can't wait to see how things go.

Manuela in Hong Kong

• Sewing is my passion!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »
Hi, I'm Manuela from Hong Kong, my name on the old forum was manuhk. Thank you for setting this new forum up.
I'm originally from Germany, trained there as a tailor, did the journey became a master and later worked in the garment industry for some 20+ years. After I left the industry 5 years ago I became a language teacher for German, English and Chinese.
I love sewing, have a penchant for vintage Singer machines, and make most of my and my husband's clothes.
Some of my work is on my Flickr site
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108322972@N04/sets/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:59:47 AM by Manuela in Hong Kong »

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
Hi Manuela,

Your other half is a lucky guy, the work on your flickr account is very good. Maybe you have spoiled him with such nice things.  ;)

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
Hi Manuela. From your introduction it looks like you'll be a valuable asset to this forum.

TTailor

• Venerable Member
  • There is no formula!
    • A Tailor Made It
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
Hi, I'm Manuela from Hong Kong, my name on the old forum as manuhk. Thank you for setting this new forum up.
I'm originally from Germany, trained there as a tailor, did the journey became a master and later worked in the garment industry for some 20+ years. After I left the industry 5 years ago I became a language teacher for German, English and Chinese.
I love sewing have a penchant for vintage Singer machines, and make most of my and my husband's clothes.
Some of my work is on my Flickr site
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108322972@N04/sets/

Manuela, I believe you are also on pattern review. Your work is wonderful and reflects your training and experience. It is wonderful to have you here!

Manuela in Hong Kong

• Sewing is my passion!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
Terry, well spotted, I'm indeed on patternreview as well as on the Stitcher's Guild :)

TTailor

• Venerable Member
  • There is no formula!
    • A Tailor Made It
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »
Stitcher's guild, yes! That is where I have seen you mostly.