Author Topic: Please introduce yourself here.  (Read 18019 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
Please introduce yourself here.
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:10 AM »
While we know many of the folks who were members of the old Cutter and Tailor forum, this is where new members can introduce themselves.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Anna

• Human Being
Re: Please introduce yourself here.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:43:15 AM »
Hi, I'm Anna, I would classify myself as an ambitious home sewer, I sew for fun rather than for profit. I am interested in tailoring because I work in an office environment and while the men I work with typically dress in suit's the women are more casual-- and myself being a woman I want to step up my wardrobe to be more classic and formal in a way that I can neither afford to buy nor is it readily available if I could afford it. By sewing for myself I hope to get a better fit and quality than what is available in my price range in RTW.

I've been sewing since I was a kid but I took a hiatus while I was in university, most of what I've sewn in the last few years has been trousers, jeans, shirts and skirts. 

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »
Hi Anna, glad to see you here. Sounds like you already have a fair bit of experience so the task of upgrading your wardrobe should be a more direct one. Once you get the info and other toys and bits you are after you should be able to get very good results. We are still getting the new forum up to pace as the old one died without warning but we are getting there.

xavierrai

• Human Being
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I was a fairly frequent reader of the old forum, but never posted much- I was a bit intimidated.  I'm a theatrical tailor/costumer, like Terri... although  I do more womenswear these days than mens.  I went through the menswear patternmaking/tailoring program at FIT in NYC, which opened my eyes to traditional tailoring. 
I have almost 15 years of professional sewing experience, and currently work at a state university in their costume shop, as a "professional stitcher" and help teach the students to do basic alterations and garment building, as well as doing the bulk of the more in depth projects.

I do hope that other professional costumers feel welcomed, and perhaps a section of the forum could be dedicated to more... vintage inspired garments.  I appreciate wanting to keep out the 'make a jacket by the weekend' crowd, but I wouldn't mind discussing some of the problems and innovations those of us in theatre encounter pretty frequently. I hope that made sense :)

I love reading about everyone's projects, and hope to continue to learn new things. 

francescastroqueta

• Newborn Human Being
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
Hi! My name is Francesca Roqueta. I was a newbie on the last forum, but I loved it. Alas! I am totally a neophyte to the sewing world and try to do as much productive sewing as I can every day. I used to moonlight as a Columbia University student, but left school to dedicate myself to one of Athena's other specialties: textiles. I have previously interned or worked at places like Teen Vogue, Barneys NYC, Wine Spectator magazine, etc. However, I presently work at one of San Diego's only fabric stores for apparel fabric while I teach myself as much as I can about garment construction, pattern making, draping, hand embroidery, tambour embroidery, and tailoring. I am committed to learning how to be a good tailor one day. Taking steps in that direction. So grateful for the advice given on any forum. Many humble thanks to everyone! :)
Instagram: @francescastroqueta
My pet dog is a reincarnation of Alexander McQueen. I'm in love.

TTailor

• Venerable Member
  • There is no formula!
    • A Tailor Made It
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
Welcome to you both!
I too hope we can discuss a bit of vintage, glad to meet another theatrical here.

Robin R

• Human Being
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:55:46 AM »
Hello all. I am Robin and I am a freelance costumer. I build costumes for theatrical productions, living history participants, themed events and re-enactors. Recently I have switched my focus to men's wear and am slowly learning tailoring techniques -- historically accurate and modern.

theresa in tucson

• Human Being
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:58 AM »
Hello, I'm Theresa, a home sewer from Tucson.  I've been sewing for myself for over forty years and decided to up my game about ten years ago and really study construction.  I don't really do tailoring but have learned a lot about construction by tearing down my husbands worn out trousers and shirts and then copying them.  Of great interest is fitting.

tom bennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:25 AM »
Hello to newcomers, sorry bit slow dropping by.

Yes, I remember your skirt project Francesca, how did you get on with it in the end?  And xavierrai, don't be to shy on the new site, you are part of the beginning so chip in when, and where you feel able. Another theatrical Robin? I feel a bit in the minority with all you costumiers about the place.  Terri (TTailor) is very experienced, I am sure you all, and the rest of us will learn a lot from your addition to the site.

Ambition Anna is where it all begins, which has got me to here too. We've got some excellent and generous male and female tailors, who give up their time to help us amateurs. And, if fitting is your thing Theresa, we have some great information and resource links to get your husband looking sharp.

Looking forward to seeing your work,
tom. :D

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
What we are trying to do with the new forum is make it a bit friendlier while maintaining the basic distinctions between different skills and different skill levels. The old forum tended to be a little too narrow and there was a tinge of elitism with a few of the members that did not help any. We are fortunate to have a lot of talented people around and rather than restrict what skilled people can do, it is far more productive to utilize these skills so that the forum becomes a lot more effective.

tom bennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:22 AM »
Hello,

To introduce myself, my name is Tom and I live in Bristol, UK and am returning to personal tailoring after a break of about 33 years.  I first, and sadly all too briefly studied tailoring and design at Mabel Fletcher Technical Collage, in Liverpool back in 1982 but life took me away from my love of clothing and through various career paths.  By way of a fairly serious accident, which has left me with bad nerve damage in my spine, I now find myself back with a pair of shears in my hand and a new singer sewing machine. I've since upgraded to a Brother B755.

I have decided to spend my time picking up where I left off in Liverpool, and study tailoring.  I am not expecting to create Saville Row standard garments, well not yet anyways.  :D

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
I guess I should practice what I preach so here is a little background on myself.

I am originally a toolmaker by trade and have a classically wired "get the job done" brain. Over the last 25 years I have been writing computer software for a living and now that I am technically retired I just have heaps more work to do. My original interest in the old Cutter And Tailor forum was due to a personal hobby of restoring antique tools and in this case tailors shears which I both use and collect. I have worked with professional tailors for over 50 years, mainly sharpening their shears so I have seen a lot of good tailors over my working lifetime but as well as this I have a number of personal friends who are highly skilled tailors which is a blessing when I need to know how to do something.

As far as making clothing, I mainly make and wear plain practical things and while they probably will never make fashion, they are at least well engineered. As an aside from my original trade, craftsmanship is something that I both respect and aspire to and this applies to whatever I make. I used to help out a good friend of mine to get out some of her production work, where I learn how to use an overlocker long ago and in conjunction with a good grasp of machinery I also know my way around conventional lock stitch straight sewers as well. Because I have a good friend who is a genuine genius in stretchwear, I am also familiar with much of the technology for that field, much of the reason why I keep and use overlockers on a regular basis.

i do have a passably good eye for proportion and clothing fit that came from my childhood when my mum was a jazz singer and when she needed an external eye for her outfits, you did not get it wrong.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:36:50 AM by hutch-- »

jruley

• Human Being
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
Hello,

I am a recently retired engineer.  I came to the old forum as a hobbyist maker of historical reenactment clothing, interested in vintage sewing techniques and antique drafting systems.  While still involved with these, my interests have diversified over the years.  I sometimes portray a working 19th century tailor at living history events so naturally am interested in vintage tools, and I have a small collection of antique irons, shears and sewing machines.  I am curious about the development of the tailoring trade and men's clothing industry from their  historical roots to where it things stand today.  Finally, my interest in patterns has led me to try making some modern items for myself including shirts, trousers and vests.  Resources available on the old forum were very helpful in this regard.

Having been at cross purposes with "Sator" years ago I want to clearly state that I understand that the Forum's purposes and subject matter are up to the administrators to decide.  I will gladly share what little I know that may be of interest or use, and I hope to be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience of this distiguished company.

Thanks,

Jim Ruley

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Hi Jim,

Welcome on board. You will find the situation a bit different here, Sator had to carry a very heavy load himself, both in terms of work and financial costs which may have caught up with him where we have a good admin group putting the place back together and the forum is set up on my own virtual server so the only cost has been the time and effort to get it going. Because we have a lot more control over the forum and are able to adapt quickly enough, we can be a lot more relaxed and don't need the rigid rule hierarchy when there is less control.

We aim to maintain the quality and fortunately we already have some very clever people on board who can help out on an occasional basis as their time allows.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:12:58 PM by hutch-- »

Greger

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »
This place seems way more relaxed. The other place, well, some unexpected problems showed up with several attempts to solve them. Sator set some limitations I didn't care for. What is the best direction this place should take?