Author Topic: Tailoring Academy  (Read 2686 times)

Rory Duffy

• Human Being
Tailoring Academy
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
After so many years of planning I am proud to announce the opening of my Tailoring Academy, "Old Park House School of Handcraft Tailoring". The popularity of my video series "The Making of a Coat", available to view on youtube, brought with it many requests for training from viewers around the world. It is my hope to share my love of tailoring with as many people who are as passion with the art as I am and preserve these skills for the next generation.
For more information please check out my blog http://roryduffy.blogspot.com.au/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:33:07 PM by hutch-- »

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
Re: Tailoring Academy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Good Luck to you Rory, you have a fantastic style to your work and your teaching.  I only wish I lived not as faraway as is possible on this planet :)

Graham

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Hi Rory,

Welcome on board and thanks for the great tutes you have done. I tweaked the link so it works directly from your post.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
"Students will be given access to Rory's personal library of out of print tailoring manuals,...."

It is best to have copies of these books. Otherwise there will be damage and loss.  Scan them at 300 dpi as PDF. That way they are easy to print. To let people handle the actual books you will find to be a sorry choice.

Sounds like a nice location.  Hope you do well.

tombennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
45 quick hop across the Irish sea, I wonder if he has an upper age limit?  I reckon I have another 20 years of worthwhile work in me, as long as I don't need to move to fast, so tailoring would fit that criteria.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:04:20 AM »
Oh...this is too close to pass up. I'm tempted. How could one wangle four months off work?

Greger

• Experienced Professional
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:55:22 AM »
Henry, since it is school maybe the government will pay for it.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 03:22:24 AM »
Unfortunately I've had my lot from the government, they only pay once for education (and not higher education any more). I also don't think they'll think highly of me rolling up in England after 16 years abroad looking for a grant!

tombennett

• Research
  • Human Being
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 04:12:02 AM »
Ha, not this government, the last budget the chancellor tried to take money from the disabled!  I have been thinking this over all of today and, it might be the path; who knows?

Rory Duffy

• Human Being
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Oh...this is too close to pass up. I'm tempted. How could one wangle four months off work?

Will happy accept you as my guest Henry, you'll be very welcome to check out my facilities when we open.
Perhaps we'd have time for a lesson or two.

Rory Duffy

• Human Being
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
45 quick hop across the Irish sea, I wonder if he has an upper age limit?  I reckon I have another 20 years of worthwhile work in me, as long as I don't need to move to fast, so tailoring would fit that criteria.

These classes are available to anyone who wishes to apply.
Students of any age are encouraged to proceed at their own pace.

Rory Duffy

• Human Being
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
"Students will be given access to Rory's personal library of out of print tailoring manuals,...."

It is best to have copies of these books. Otherwise there will be damage and loss.  Scan them at 300 dpi as PDF. That way they are easy to print. To let people handle the actual books you will find to be a sorry choice.

Sounds like a nice location.  Hope you do well.

What a good idea, I have quite a number of my books scanned, would certainly use those for hand outs. I have always encouraged my interns to photograph pages of my books so they can study them in their free time.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »
Okay... this looks to be much more flexible than I imagined.

Rory Duffy

• Human Being
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:37 AM »
Okay... this looks to be much more flexible than I imagined.

Yea, its a tailor-made.
Am willing to host shorter courses for people who request them.
Private tuition that focuses on an area of their choosing.

Say for example someone who works in a custom clothing store wanted to focus solely on fittings and could only come for a few days. I would tailor a course to teach them through imagery and clothing on stand, how to identify and remedy fitting issues.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 04:12:54 AM »
That's very accommodating indeed. I was slightly despairing because I'm not in a position to just take 15 weeks out, and I've also been based in the Netherlands for the last 15 years, so a bit further afield than an easy trip from Blighty across the Irish Sea.

I'm going to think this through, it's too good to pass up.