Author Topic: skirts dresses etc  (Read 1943 times)

Greger

• Experienced Professional
skirts dresses etc
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:43 AM »
http://uniquedesignerpatterns.blogspot.com/search/label/COOLIE%20jacket

Looking for some ideas? Some methods of construction I wouldn't use. But, then I invent my own, anyway. Some nice garments.

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
Re: skirts dresses etc
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:50:42 AM »
The facings here are nicely done:

Greger

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »
Look at the other pages. Posted one for starter.

posaune

• Human Being
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:33 AM »
This is called "bagging" the lining. I think you will not use it in couture or custom tailoring. Because you have to cut away fabric and this will not enable you to alter the garment afterwards once finished.
In custom tailoring I always think of altering (gaining or loosing weight) - but maybe I'm an old lame duck.
lg
posaune

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Bespoke Snippers
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
I think the distinction between disposable and repairable clothing is a valid one. A properly made garment that has seam allowances for alterations is a harder garment to make but it means for a person who invested more money in quality clothing, they extend the life of the garment if it can be altered to fit any size changes they require over time. In terms of economy it makes sense to have your share of better quality garments that last a number of seasons rather than annually disposable clothing. Here you just need to add up the costs over time, a well made garment at twice the price is cheaper in the long run than a disposable garment that may not even last half as long.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Depends on what cloth. Cotton doesn't hold the dye very well. One pair of pants I let out the seat seam. They were only good for gardening after that with nobody around. At least nobody stood behind me to notice the dark strick up the seat seam.

Really, there are wealthy people who will buy a garment, or suit, for one time use. There is no reason to make these garments for everlasting. It always pays to ask what the garment is for. Rare, but it does happen. For women, one garment for sure, the mighty Wedding Dress. But even men sometime buy a one time use now and then. Really wealthy people, whatever you charge them, is peanuts. A guy here in this "town" bought every quarter a new wardrobe. Four times a year he emptied his closest. He was buying six to eight suits each time. Something like 28 suits a year (not to mention other clothes).

Henry Hall

• Research
  • Evil Chemist
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »
This is called "bagging" the lining. I think you will not use it in couture or custom tailoring. Because you have to cut away fabric and this will not enable you to alter the garment afterwards once finished.
In custom tailoring I always think of altering (gaining or loosing weight) - but maybe I'm an old lame duck.
lg
posaune

Yes it's bagging, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a nicely finished garment. This woman is making in a different way; not lesser or wrong, only different. I don't think every person pursuing clothing construction ought only to be following pure bespoke techniques.

Schneiderfrei

• Research
  • Resembles Human Being
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
That's a great reason for avoiding bagging posaune - Not being able to adjust the garment.  I suppose it's very difficult to go in after and undo all the hidden seams, and to arrange inlay in the interior of the 'bag' while sewing up.